First time making dry cured sausage- here's what I've done!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First time making dry cured sausage- here's what I've done!

Postby badmajon » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Hello all, this is my first time making dry cured sausage. I'm making a version of salami, from the Ruhlman recipe in "Charcuterie". I followed the recipe exactly, but I scaled it from a 5 lb pork recipe to a 3.7 lb (roughly 75%) because that's how much pork shoulder I had on hand. Oh, and I could not get back fat. Aside from that its exactly the same. I am using natural hog casings, the ones that are about 1" wide. I did not have distilled water and I boiled my water for more than 5 minutes. Chloramine is not used in my area so getting rid of chlorine is easier.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if my process is good or if I should be doing something different? I've been making fresh sausage for years, so I think I'm okay on the basics of how to stuff sausage. The only difference (aside from ingredients) I encountered was pricking the casings.

I am using Bactoferm Mold 600 as well. After stuffing the casings (and pricking all over), I used a brush and applied a good coat of reconstituted Mold 600 (at a rate of 3g to one cup water). Then I placed it in a temperature controlled hot box set at 30c/85f. I let it sit for about 16 hours. The recipe says 12.

After that (this morning) I applied another coat of the Mold 600 (it was in the fridge from the day before) and I have it hanging in my curing chamber. It's a full size fridge with small fans for airflow, a humidity controller, and a temp controller. Right now I have it set at 16c (61f) and 75% humidity. Does this sound okay?

Some pics of my setup:

Thanks for all the help! I have no idea how this is going to go!
badmajon
Registered Member

Re: First time making dry cured sausage- here's what I've do

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I would bump the humidity up to 85 % at the start and slowly lower it as the sausage dries. Which culture did you use for the fermentation?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:16 pm

For me the temperature is a little high --- 13c. (55f.)is my preference and humidity no higher than 80% with the sweet spot of 75%

But that is just me :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby badmajon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:49 am

Hi thanks for the input. There is a lot of variation in what humidity people use I can see. I'm using RM52 bacteria. When I took it out of the hot box yesterday it had a noticeable fermented not unpleasant smell and had firmed up a bit. So far so good I guess!
badmajon
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Temperature and humidity work together, BriCan and I are both suggesting ways to slow down your drying conditions.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Welcome Badmajon.

IIRC, a straw poll of home-curers using similar curing set-ups to yours found that the lower end of the generally recommended temperature band made for more successful results.

I too would use a lower temperature.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby badmajon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I lowered my temp from 16 to 12c. RH is set to 75%.
badmajon
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:05 am

badmajon wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I lowered my temp from 16 to 12c. RH is set to 75%.

If I truthfully tell you what my actual temperature was you would think I was daft or completely certifiably nuts :lol:

I teach the numbers that I have suggested and as NCPaul has rightly said both he and I are trying to slow your drying/curing time way down so that things dry evenly without (hopefully) any problems :)

My actual temperature (at work in the walk-in cooler) is between 3c and 4c and humidity is 75%

The reason for this is that the slower things dry/cure the better flavour profile they get, this is akin to aging fine wine -- long and slow :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Beginners