Grinding adding Fat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Grinding adding Fat

Postby Sarge5706 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I am new at making sausage and have tried making bratwurst and Liverwurst. Both tasted good but were dry. :? I know I need more fat.
I am using a hand powered Weston 22 grinder
The problem is that when I try to grind the fat it gets hung up in the auger right at the blade.
Any ideas to avoid this?
Is there some way I can add lard to the mixture without it going through the grinder?
Thanks for your time and trouble
Sarge5706
Newly Registered

Re: Grinding adding Fat

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Do these comments help?

Is your blade sharp and the mincer correctly assembled?
Is the fat cold? If I'm only grinding fat then I do it straight from frozen having previously cut into strips that will easily feed into the hopper/worm drive.
Are there any sinews in the fat that might be catching in the grinder? If so cut them out first.

Happy grinding!
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Oh, and as it was your first post I should have said 'hello'!
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Swing Swang's covered most of the angles, but dry sausage can also be due to inadequate mixing.

Make sure that you mix the (hopefully very cold) meat until it's sticky and smells like sausage-meat instead of mince.

...and a warm welcome from me as well. :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:22 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Do not confuse lard with fat back. Lard has been rendered and has no structure. That you mention getting hung up makes me agree with SS that you have sinew mixed in with the fat.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Shuswap » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:04 pm

That's a problem we all encounter. I now slightly thaw bulk back fat and cut into less than 1 inch cubes and refreeze. I then grind it seperately and refreeze. When I grind my meat I add frozen ground back fat to the meat grind as I go along. Tedious but it works for me.
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:01 am

Sarge5706 wrote:I am new at making sausage and have tried making bratwurst and Liverwurst. Both tasted good but were dry

Gee folks -- the biggest question was not asked -- How did we cook these :shock:

As far as I know the two are different things -- but I have been known to be wrong (read the tag line :wink: )

bratwurst is a frying sausage

Liverwurst is a spreadable sausage
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Beginners