Chorizo question?

Introductions and chatter

Chorizo question?

Postby Fingers » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:15 pm

I am wondering how this is made, regardless of the recipe for flavour. The shop bought texture is usually very soft, not at all like my cured salami which after loosing 30% weight goes very firm and not like chorizo at all.

So I am thinking to get this texture I wonder if one just does not fully cure down to 30% loss. As the intention is to cook with it would this not be ok? Say 15% loss, just enough time to get those flavours to develop. It does seem to be between a fresh sausage and fully cured. Even though you can eat the soft shop bought without cooking it..?

This then begs the question, is this enough time for the cure#2 to get to a safe consumption level, or could the cure#2 be omitted as one will be cooking it through before eating?
Fingers
Registered Member

Re: Chorizo question?

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 pm

You can use cure #1 if you are only doing a short cure and going for 15% weight loss
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Fingers -

There are so many types of chourico and there is a huge variation regarding how moist/dry they are. Personally I dry to closer to 40% (but that's my personal preference, however I use 5-7% bell pepper paste to make an Alentejo-style/Portuguese chourico rather than the more usual Spanish chorizo using dry paprika/pimenton which means to say that my starting point is wetter than if only dry ingredients have been used).

I have noticed that a lot of the mass produced chouricos in collagen casings tend to be moister than artisan produced chouricos in 'real' casings whether they be ox or hog. Consequently if you want a moister chourico then go for it.

You can also buy/make a completely uncured version. As these are sold commercially in some areas it might be worth checking that you've not been buying an uncured chorizo - in the north of Spain these are sometimes poached in the local cider and served as a pincho/tapa and I prefer them to the saltier version of the same dish made with cured embutidos.

Regarding cure 1 vs cure 2 BriCan is the man. BriCan also drys for longer at a much lower temperature than most and after my initial skepticism I must say that this works incredibly well indeed (so big thanks BriCan), in particular I didn't get that very subtle (and undesirable) 'ammonia tang' that I've sometimes had when chourico is cured into the warmer late spring when using better/lower temperature control.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Swing Swang wrote:Fingers -
Regarding cure 1 vs cure 2 BriCan is the man. BriCan also drys for longer at a much lower temperature than most and after my initial skepticism I must say that this works incredibly well indeed (so big thanks BriCan),

(Humbled) --- I did not think anyone would even think of following -- Thank you :shock:

in particular I didn't get that very subtle (and undesirable) 'ammonia tang' that I've sometimes had when chourico is cured into the warmer late spring when using better/lower temperature control.

regarding the "ammonia tang" -- are you using starter cultures?

I ferment at a lower temperature and humidity (again) than most 20C to 25C temperature, and humidity 75% for no less than 4 days and up to 7 days
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Cheers guys,

Its too warm at the mo in my drying space so may try a small batch to dry in the fridge.

With the view to cooking these what % of salt and cure#1 would you recommend and would there be a min weight loss or time needed to ensure the safe level of nitrate.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:55 pm

You could always make a fresh Chorizo. That requires no drying?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Fingers wrote:Cheers guys,

Its too warm at the mo in my drying space so may try a small batch to dry in the fridge.

You have perfect weather for drying t room temperature ... I just checked :)

With the view to cooking these what % of salt and cure#1 would you recommend and would there be a min weight loss or time needed to ensure the safe level of nitrate.

I myself do 9g salt per kg on just about all my sausage -- that being said -- 2% on the salt and 0.25% on cure #1
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:40 am

I am wanting the flavours to have some time to mature Phil.

The temp is about 20 deg C in my garage, that said a coppa finished drying in this temp which seemed to be ok. I just thought the temp needed to be about 15 or under? Should I try drying them in the garage at that temp, it would be more convenient than the fridge.?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 am

Fingers wrote: The temp is about 20 deg C in my garage, that said a coppa finished drying in this temp which seemed to be ok. I just thought the temp needed to be about 15 or under? Should I try drying them in the garage at that temp, it would be more convenient than the fridge.?

This is just under my temperature last week as we are sitting at 25C where I hang things to dry at room temperature -- I have a gentle breeze that moves the air somewhat so things are fine

I have had shortback bacon hanging there since last Friday evening and today is Tuesday -- I will take photo when I go into work __ this one is from a few weeks ago when the temperature was 22C __ you might be able to see the temperature/humidity in the upper right of the picture

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 am

Oh wow, I thought very wrongly max temp was about 15 degC for some reason and had resigned any further curing till the summer was over.

Thanks very much for clearing this up BriCan, I will carry on. :)

If I am going to use these for cooking with would you say I just go by feel, when the sausage has got to the firmness I think is right? But would there be a min time or weight loss to ensure I am not consuming cure#1?
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi BriCan - regarding ammonia smell I'll start another thread to avoid sabotaging this one - Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I would point out that temps above 15.6° are the territory of Staphylococcus aureus.

But if I do, someone will tell me that they've never got ill from their [Insert relative's] chorizo etc. etc.

So I won't!

Whether you CAN do something, and whether it's wise to do so, are two different things.
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter