How to sharpen my slicer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

How to sharpen my slicer

Postby exeterfoodie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi there,

I have a big ol' meat slicer I picked up second hand. It weighs a tonne, works well but I can tell is now just sharp rather than razor sharp.

I have no instructions but it has model number S300 on it's plaque.

There are some sharpening wheels tucked in the 'holder' at the top but they are nowhere near the blade and there doesn't seem to be any way to make them - I have completely dismantled it trying!

Help much appreciated.

Dean.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

“The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.”
exeterfoodie
Registered Member

Re: How to sharpen my slicer

Postby moldy meat » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:48 am

exeterfoodie wrote:Hi there,

I have a big ol' meat slicer I picked up second hand. It weighs a tonne, works well but I can tell is now just sharp rather than razor sharp.

I have no instructions but it has model number S300 on it's plaque.

There are some sharpening wheels tucked in the 'holder' at the top but they are nowhere near the blade and there doesn't seem to be any way to make them - I have completely dismantled it trying!

Help much appreciated.

Dean.

this might help...

http://www.omcan.com/instructionmanuals ... licers.pdf

it's not rocket science, you loosen the lock bolt and rotate the sharpener 180 then lock it down. run the slicer and press the sharpener stones against the blade lightly.

MM
moldy meat
Registered Member

Postby herjac » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:28 pm

If your sharpener has buttons front and back they are used to push their respective sharpening stones toward the blade. The back of the blade should be sharpened until there is a burr on the front side and then the front sharpening stone should be used only to remove this burr. In this manner the blade retains it's cutting edge on the flat front side as originally supplied.
herjac
Registered Member

Postby exeterfoodie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you both for the tips... herjac in particular because that is the system I think I have.

The buttons don't seem to do anything though, they might be jammed? I think I might need to get it out tonight and do a little video if you guys are going to be able to help me on this one. Its just confusing otherwise :-)

Dean.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

“The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.”
exeterfoodie
Registered Member

Postby herjac » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Take the sharpener unit off of the slicer and inspect it. The sharpening stones rotate on a shaft and should be able to move against a spring when the button is pushed. If it is a used machine then it probably needs cleaning and some lubrication, food grade, on the shaft. These machines, like most, suffer from benign neglect.

I had the same questions as you when I purchased my slicer. They come with very little info but once you see how the mechanism moves you will understand the sharpening operation.
herjac
Registered Member

Postby exeterfoodie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:56 pm

OK great I will take a look later on - they spun freely but didn't seem to be moveable at all.

Once I figure out how to get them to the blade I will be back to ask for advice on how to and how often to sharpen it!

Dean.

exeterfoodie
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies