Cheese Injected Cured Sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Cheese Injected Cured Sausages

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:56 am

Hi Guys

I've been searching for Technique to inject cheese into Cured Sausages (I'm assuming the one in the pic is either smoked or poached).

Does anyone know how to get the cheese into the sausage like the pic?

Thanks
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Re: Cheese Injected Cured Sausages

Postby klephtZA » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 am

My understanding is that the cheese is diced and added to the _chilled_ sausage filling before being piped into casings. Since the sausage meat (for cured sausage) would include salt and whatnot you shouldn't get any weird growth/development on the cheese. I've only used cheese in fresh sausages for the stove/braai/BBQ so can't attest first hand to cured sausage.

Perhaps the most important part is keeping it all cold to maintain the cheese bits shape including cold smoking as needed. Poaching those sausages would result in the cheese melting and not keeping the square shape so I would imagine the picture is of cold smoked, cured sausage.
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for your response.

I suspect the Sausages are Poached instead of Cold Smoked. I was thinking of adding it directly to the Sausage Mix but I'm afraid of the cheese bursting through. In the pic, you can see how neatly the Cheese is - it's almost like it was intentionally injected.

I just can't understand how that is possible since cheese will harden as soon as you syringe it.
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:10 am

The cheese is cubed and added to the mix before stuffing. Using a low fat cheese will hold its shape better while cooking.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 am

Where's the fun in low fat cheese :P Cheese like in that picture cannot be injected practically. As Dan said, the lower fat content means there is less to "melt" so the cheese pieces will retain their shape.

If you're worried about bursting you can reduce the risk by not over-stuffing the casings.

I think you'll get your answer the easiest if you just try out a small batch and then you can let us know your findings :)
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:56 am

Ok - will try out soon. How does addition of Cheddar sound?
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 am

The cheese type really depends on what flavour you want. Lots of oomph, go for matured cheddar or something harder like pecorino. Now I'm hungry for lunch :P
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:55 pm

The type of cheese used is most likely a high-temp cheese. These don't melt and retain their shape in smoked/cooked sausages. There are some cheeses (many Mexican Quesos and middle eastern Halloumi) that also work great but I believe the high temp cheeses are usually processed and salted so they can hold up to the heat.

You can see a list here: http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... &cPath=204
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks all for your valuable feedback - I guess the Cheddar is the way to go.

I'm looking for a nice recipe for Franks. Actually, here in South Africa, we serve something similar called Russians. klephtZA, I notice you are from SA so you might be familiar with Russians. I'm looking for a similar recipe but all I could find that came closest in look was Franks.

I don't eat pork so will need a recipe that either uses Beef or Mutton and easy to find Spices.

Thanks Again
SM
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:02 am

Ahhhh ok will see what I can dig out for you.
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby Sausage_Man » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks Sir.
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:13 am

We're digressing a bit from the original topic but I did find this bit of info re: Russians

viewtopic.php?t=1391

I don't recall Russians having cheese in them though.

Typically a pork based sausage so you'd have to play around with how the beef would work out. Maybe a fattier mutton would be better for this style though it carries a stronger flavour than the pork.

Let us know how it turns out :)
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks KlephtZA

I also found this recipe for Franks which I believe is the American term for Russians.

viewtopic.php?t=211

I know it seems like we digressing from the topic but I thought i'd keep everything in 1 place. I just have a few questions.

1. I have a curing salt but not sure if it's the correct 1 that the recipe asks for - How can I tell?

2. Before I become brave enough to make a large batch of this recipe, I'd like to get my spice mix perfect - I read most recipes ask for the sausage to be left refrigerated for 24 hours so the spice marinates the meat properly. I would like to test out my spice mix on small portions of minced meat then fry it up like a patty on the stove - is the 24 hour wait necessary?

3. Is there any specific guideline on the spice to meat ratio e.g. 40g spice to 1kg meat?

Thanks
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Yeah I see the recipe uses a lot of white pepper and higher fat content which is in line with my experience.

1) Curing salt, as many of the more experienced guys will tell you, is one of the more important ingredients (people vary on opinion but generally its better to include it if you aren't sure). This is not something want to get wrong so if you are unsure what curing salt (not sodium chloride) you have, I would rather bin it and buy a new bag of something labelled. In South Africa, we get Prague Powder #1 or #2 which is referring to whether the curing salt contains (in addition to sodium chloride) sodium nitrite or a combination of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. You will find a lot of info on this forum as to what ratio of curing salt to meat should be used.

2) I prefer to let the meat sit overnight. It's all about flavour equilibrium :) Maybe the more experienced guys can chip in here with their experiences? Go ahead and fry up small portions it will give you an idea. I actually ended up just frying small patties of one batch since I couldn't wait for them to be piped :)

3) Not that I've run across. I've tended to make smaller batches (1kg each) with different spice ratios to see what is best for me. It does help I have a gram scale for measuring acurately but you can get those cheaply.

Hope that helps.
klephtZA
Registered Member

Postby klephtZA » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 am

For info these are pics of the smoked russians we get from the local deli.

klephtZA
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Making Techniques