Still soft yet about 25% weight reduction

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Still soft yet about 25% weight reduction

Postby montanaSalami » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:09 pm

This is my 2nd Salami making session. The 1st time I got some case hardening, but the salami was still very good. This time the temp and humidity are more appropriate, I'm using netting and squeezing and flipping the chubs daily.
As of this morning the Chubs that have been hanging since the 19th are showing about 25% weight lose. Far faster then before. I also notice the beginning of the white mold. Tis good. :D

Q: Looks like I might have to 40% to get to a complete cure and a hard salami. Sound right?

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Re: Still soft yet about 25% weight reduction

Postby NCPaul » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:39 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Forty percent lose is a good target; the weight lose is slightly quick, what are you doing for humidity control?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby montanaSalami » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:54 am

My bad. I remeasured, and the weight lose is 15%. IMO, right on target.

The "room' is dug into the hillside and this time of the year only slightly varies in temp and holds 60% and above humidity with no effort from me. :)
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi, Welcome.

They look very closely spaced to me, and I'd look to increase the humidity to 75-80%. That's assuming a temp of around 50 - 55°F.

Hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby montanaSalami » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. This is still a budgeted experiment for me. If this isn't to my satisfaction, I'll look into the purchase of a humidifier next year.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:28 am

montanaSalami wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. This is still a budgeted experiment for me. If this isn't to my satisfaction, I'll look into the purchase of a humidifier next year.

Try adding a pan of water with some salt in it (salt keeps water fresh nothing else) this will raise the humidity for you
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Humidity is good. When I need to raise it I will hang a soaking towel off a hook. Now I'll add salt to the soak.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:35 am

Okay, now what. Started the 19th, 8 days early, the chub has lost 30% of its weight. The ends are firm, but the center is still quite squeezy. Patients, move it into a warmer drier environment, or what?
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:05 am

montanaSalami wrote:Patients...

Yes, it does feel as though they're our patients sometimes...:-)
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:51 pm

All is fine. I found that I had transposed the 784g to 874g. Now getting close to 784 and as expected it is firming up the full length of the chub.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:58 pm

1st Chub is nearly ready. Has now lost 36% of its weight. I've got it hanging inside the cabin so I can admire it. It is a little soft yet, but that might be just fine. Or maybe it will further firm up before I cut into it in a few more days.

This is a Finocchiona – An Italian salami characteristic of the Chianti region of Tuscany. The only deviation I took was to use peppercorns, ground coarsely and some left whole, and I splashed some extra Chianti wine into meat paste. After all, More wine is more better.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Return to Beginners