Smoke in hot smoker

Smoke in hot smoker

Postby onewheeler » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:09 pm

See previous post about keeping the temperature stable...

I was also having problems keeping the smoke going steadily. I was using beech chips, which were roughly 5 mm square by 2 mm thick. Tried first using a steel smoker box with a small handful of wetted chips. The box was placed on the hot charcoal and smoked vigorously for maybe fifteen minutes before apparently burning out. I then tried some wetted chips wrapped in aluminum foil, much the same experience. What's the secret of keeping the smoke going steadily for a longer period? Put it to the side of the charcoal? More chips?

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Re: Smoke in hot smoker

Postby fusion555 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Not sure if you can get them in UK but i use a "A-maZe-N" smoke box, its a small metal box with holes, has 2 lanes that make a kind of N shape, fill the lanes with pellets from a pellet smoker/BBQ i have Mesquite and Apple, light one end and place in your smoker box, about 1 lb of pellets will smoke for just about 12 hrs, it realy works good, here it is on the USA Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-MAZE-N-Pellet ... rkt%3D1%26
fusion555
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 pm

onewheeler wrote:See previous post about keeping the temperature stable...

I was also having problems keeping the smoke going steadily. I was using beech chips, which were roughly 5 mm square by 2 mm thick. Tried first using a steel smoker box with a small handful of wetted chips. The box was placed on the hot charcoal and smoked vigorously for maybe fifteen minutes before apparently burning out. I then tried some wetted chips wrapped in aluminum foil, much the same experience. What's the secret of keeping the smoke going steadily for a longer period? Put it to the side of the charcoal? More chips?

Martin/

Ditch the chips and start using chunks. You can bury a couple under the charcoal and put a couple on top, this method on my WSM with the Minion method will produce smoke for 8 hours or more. Once in a while I may throw another chunk on for good measure.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks! I'll try that. The woods around here are full of beech, so a walk later today could be productive.

A hot smoke later this week might be on, we've been away for a month so there's been no chance to do anything.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:26 pm

You should stop soaking the wood as well; you want it to burn cleanly.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing