Nitrite Nitrate free Bacon

Introductions and chatter

Re: Nitrite Nitrate free Bacon

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:42 pm

bacon.uk wrote:In my experience that is true though I know BriCan does not agree. One other thing (trivial I know) but using the bag method produced a leathery rind when cooked whereas with the open tray method the rind was like crispy pork scratchings. I do not no why but I observed this over quite a number of batches.
I will never use the EQ method again

I know that there's another thread from this, but I feel that here is the place to say that I don't think that the choices are limited to EQ in a bag, or salt box in an open tray. A 'modified' EQ system could be easily applied to an open tray method.

The rind issue is easily explained - bags of salt = crisp crackin'!

I'll copy this post to the other thread to widen the discussion a bit.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fingers » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:53 am

Another update.

Trying this alongside my last batch of bacon which had cure#1 it is clear that the nitrite free bacon, is not bacon.
The taste is salty pork and there is a clear distinctive lack of bacon taste. Its quite astonishing that this tiny amount of cure#1 can have such a influence on the taste and look!

So my conclusion would be you can't make bacon without nitrate/nitrite.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:07 pm

It's amazing isn't it. And then where you compare it to parma type hams that don't have cure, just salt, but seem as if they're cured with nitrates, it's mind-boggling.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:41 pm

bacon.uk wrote:
Wheels wrote:It's often said that the open tray method produces a more tender bacon.

In my experience that is true though I know BriCan does not agree. One other thing (trivial I know) but using the bag method produced a leathery rind when cooked whereas with the open tray method the rind was like crispy pork scratchings. I do not no why but I observed this over quite a number of batches.

I'm not sure that EQ curing and the open tray method are mutually exclusive. It may mean adjusting the ingredients to allow for run off, but I'm sure it could be done.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:53 am

bacon.uk wrote:
It's often said that the open tray method produces a more tender bacon.

In my experience that is true though I know BriCan does not agree. One other thing (trivial I know) but using the bag method produced a leathery rind when cooked whereas with the open tray method the rind was like crispy pork scratchings. I do not no why but I observed this over quite a number of batches.

Saying that you will never use the EQ method again puts in the group of people that love overly salty bacon

The EQ method can be used in the open try/stack method as I do this all the time -- The only time I use vacuum bags is when doing custom batched or doing a cooked brine (something else that needs to be learned :) ) Price of decent beer this side of the pond is expensive :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Porkscratchings

Postby bacon.uk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:38 am

One other thing (trivial I know) but using the bag method produced a leathery rind when cooked whereas with the open tray method the rind was like crispy pork scratchings. I do not no why but I observed this over quite a number of batches.

Wheels replied
The rind issue is easily explained - bags of salt = crisp crackin'!

Thanks for that tip Wheels It works I had tried soaking the salt out of the rind, just the wrong thing to do
bacon.uk
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter