OX cheek

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

OX cheek

Postby fredfish » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

My local supermarket has just started stocking OX Cheek at a very reasonable price.

I know that it is great for long and slow braising (and indeed I have done that!) but what is it like for mincing and using in sausages - there doesn't appear to be a lot of fat there so I am assuming I would need to augment it with something else.

TIA

John
fredfish
Registered Member

Re: OX cheek

Postby Swing Swang » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 pm

I'd be tempted to make a boerewors type sausage with it - probably use 1.5kg cheek, 1.5kg pork shoulder, 0.5kg mutton fat (or 50% cheek, 50% belly if mutton fat unavailable). In either case I'd aim for 25%-30% fat by eye for this type of sausage.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 am

What sort of price is it? there's lods that you can do. But, it's dependant on price.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fredfish » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 am

It is being sold at £7 per kilo - their ordinary stewing steak is £7.79 per Kilo. This was a couple of days ago (18/11/16)

Thanks for the suggestion of boerwors - I will certainly investigate - I am fairly new to sausage making and to date have only made Italian sausage (both sweet and hot) and a rather nice chicken and Chardonnay sausage. But suggestions of new styles are always welcome.

Cheers

John
fredfish
Registered Member

Postby fredfish » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:46 am

Incidentally Phil - the very first batch of sausages I made was from your blog - it was the Thurlaston Sausage, and very good it was too!! (I still have some of the seasoning mix left)
fredfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:04 pm

At that price I'd use it for cooking - long slow braised meat with the best gravy going. Mmm...

I'm glad you liked the sausage.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners