Fresh Sausage bursting out of ends?

Introductions and chatter

Re: Fresh Sausage bursting out of ends?

Postby mkitson » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi guys.

New to sausage making & this forum, spent two days reading everything, but I can find on here the answer to my problem.

I'm using 32mm hog casings & making Venison mix sausages. Recipe is 25% Venison, 25% fat pork, 25% smoked (fatty)bacon off cuts, 15% water/red wine, 10% bread crumb, + seasoning's.
I process the ingredients, then kneed & leave in the fridge (set at "just" above 0 ) over night uncovered.
Out of fridge kneed again. Sample a fried piece to check for flavors, adjust if necessary & return to the fridge over night, or Proceed if good flavor/happy with it. Castings soaked over night, rinsed through then put in warm water for 40mins or there about's. I don't over stuff the casings, in fact the last lot I deliberately under stuffed, so they looked like 1960s butchers sausages, not round & easy to dent/miss shape, so defiantly NOT over stuffed. Rested in the fridge over night in fact two days this time, but the skin still shrunk/the meat ooooosed out of both ends. There was more meat out than in the skins. I used the same mixture in some sausage rolls (puff pastry casing) & no expansion of the meat from either end BUT they were a little fatty. Yes there is fat in the pastry, but maybe I have too much fat in my mix ??????? would this cause such dire shrinkage of the casing, as a 6" sausage ends up 3 inches of sausage with 1 1/2" - 2" of pug in the pan either end of the "little" sausage
Any help/ideas welcome !!!!
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi, Welcome.

Maybe reduce the fat a little - 20% visible fat is a good starting point. Also, it might be worth reducing the liquid to the same amount (by weight) as the breadcrumbs.

They're my initial thoughts anyway.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I don't cut the twisted links apart until they have rested overnight on a rack in the fridge. This allows the twisted part to dry and set the links. Also agree with wheels that the liquid can come down.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby mkitson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:12 am

Thanks guys, I'll have another bash over the weekend & report back.
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby Fingers » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 am

Since I have omitted adding any bread crumb or rusk I have had no problems at all. I also as NCPaul says dry them, I give them 2 days in the fridge before freezing or using.

I think the rusk or bread crumb must expand greatly and if there's not enough pre soaking done then this is going to happen inside the casing. But like I say my sausage is just meat (shoulder for eg), seasoning and a little water or wine to produce a nice sticky mix. The difference in flavour by just omitting the rusk is massive, much more tasty and succulent.
Fingers
Registered Member

Postby mkitson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks guys, I did post a thanks last night but it didn't make it to the forum. maybe I hit the wrong button !
I'll give it another bash over the weekend & report back.
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby mkitson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Guy's
Made a new batch on Friday as had a day to myself. Hung them in the the fridge for 72+ hours, went under the grill 5 1/2" long, came out 2" long with pug all around. (will try to load some pics later) I also made some up with Tesco sausage meat & they did the same thing !!!
Me thinks it could be the skins shrinking to much & not my mixture. I am currently using those "butchers Sundries" any suggestions on better ones ??
What I'm ending up with is a fat cocktail sausage & 4" - 5" of pug. The little "cocktail" sausage is a perfect little copy of what I actually want, Just 1/3 the size !!
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 am

Could you give us a link to the skins you are using? Aren't you using natural casings?
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby mkitson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am

Using Brand name "Butchers Sundries" all over ebay & every where you look for casings on line, 9 out of 10 adds are fore them, plus first packet came with sausage machine.
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

You said before that they're 32mm hog casings. Is this the case? Can you detail your procedure for soaking them etc.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:34 pm

I think you have collagen casings. Butchers-Sundries sells both natural and collagen, are they packed in salt? The shrinking behavior is not uncommon with collagen.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby mkitson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Answer to both.
Yes they are packed in salt & definitely labeled hog castings.
I rinse of the salt in cold water while untangling, then run a small amount of water through them to open them up, then soak them over night in clean (not the same water as rinsed in) cold water in the fridge & just before I'm ready to use them (about 40 mins) I place them in warm "not hot" water, prior threading them on to the shoe/spout. This last lot were well under stuffed but still shrunk beyond all belief. tried to up load some pics but having problems.

mark
mkitson
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:37 pm

The only thing I can suggest is to:
  1. Try another recipe.
  2. Cook at a lower heat.
  3. Poach the sausage at 80°C prior to grilling.
I'm at a loss as to what to do otherwise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:44 pm

mkitson wrote:Answer to both.
Yes they are packed in salt & definitely labeled hog castings.
I rinse of the salt in cold water while untangling, then run a small amount of water through them to open them up, then soak them over night in clean (not the same water as rinsed in) cold water in the fridge & just before I'm ready to use them (about 40 mins) I place them in warm "not hot" water, prior threading them on to the shoe/spout. This last lot were well under stuffed but still shrunk beyond all belief. tried to up load some pics but having problems.

mark

A quick read of this tells me you have not re-hydrated your casings enough ~~ as a person that makes sausage for a living soaking casings overnight on the fridge will not work ~~ I do no less than 3 days in a cool place ~~ I have casings sitting for a week in a cool place where I work
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby mkitson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 pm

Someone else suggested soaking for longer & before I came to this forum I made some with skins that were soaked 8 days, then in warm water for a couple of hours (changed a few times) as I had a few distractions & didn't get round to making them for a couple of hours after getting the mix out of the fridge. They still shrunk & split & a local butcher told me that soaking for too long will guarantee splitting of the casing's ! I think it could be time to put my machine on ebay & call it a day.
mkitson
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter