Nubee with consistancy problem SOLUTIONS WELCOME

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Nubee with consistancy problem SOLUTIONS WELCOME

Postby lou317 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 pm

This was my third batch of air dried italian sausage and I was expecting a super sausage but it did not turn out that way for sure.
First .....it did not produce any mold white or other wise although I did not include it in the ingredients.

Second ..I let it hang in a room that was about 68-73 degrees with a 40-50 % humidity for 5-6 days
then when nothing happened i refrigerated it at 40* with 60%+ humidity for 3 weeks

And finally third....after 4 weeks it came out very soft it seperated when you cut it

The recipe was pork shoulder salt some B pepper smoked paprika and red wine.

thank U
Louie
PS. I am from U S if it matters
lou317
Registered Member

Re: Nubee with consistancy problem SOLUTIONS WELCOME

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:59 pm

You don't mention cure #2 or a fermentation culture, I hope that you used them. Perhaps do some reading here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... ty-hurdles
I find the Marianskis' books to be very helpful to understand the process, I like this one (just in time for Christmas).
https://www.amazon.com/Home-Production- ... d+sausages
Normally the fermentation step which you tried to do at the start, is done at higher humidity. Did you weigh the sausages for weight lost?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby montanaSalami » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 pm

I don't add anything special to promote white mold. It just develops naturally with the recipe ingredients, i.e. starter culture.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Just to clarify though that it's not the starter culture that we add to the stuff that goes into the casings that is responsible for the white mold that grows on the surface of the casings. That white mould has either been sprayed on, or the salami is hung in an environment where there are mould spores present that eventually inoculate the surface of the salami, or that's what I understand happens when I start to dabble.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Really? Twice now, the mold just took off once it got started. It was getting so thick I had to take it outside and brush it off as it was falling off and making a mess. The first time it got some nasty looking mold and the 2nd time it was, as pictured, a nice uniform white.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 pm

I would still stand by my earlier post. The commercial cultures that I use to ferment are from the Lactobacillus and/or Pediococcuse genera and do not include Penicillium. Those wonderful white and fluffy/chalky moulds of yours that that I am rather envious of is/are penicillium species and my understanding is that it comes from surface inoculation, either deliberately or from the environment.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:41 am

You are correct. White surface mould is nothing to do with the cultures added to the sausage mix.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby montanaSalami » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Swing Swang wrote:Those wonderful white and fluffy/chalky moulds of yours that that I am rather envious of is/are penicillium species and my understanding is that it comes from surface inoculation, either deliberately or from the environment.

I can't believe I didn't snap a picture when it was at its full white mold state. Ya couldn't see anything else but the white and some parts of the netting at the ends. It was a mess.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 am

They look superb to me. :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners