Fresh or dried

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Fresh or dried

Postby Magnadibble » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Sure this has been asked already but can't find elsewhere, is there a rule of thumb regards the quantity of fresh herbs I should use to replace the dry herb ingredients?
I'd like to use fresh sage instead of dried but don't want to overpower the finish product.
Magnadibble
Registered Member

Re: Fresh or dried

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:39 pm

I typically use double the weight if fresh, mostly because I can remember it.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Magnadibble » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks, think I'd much prefer the fresh ingredients where I can use them. Are there any disadvantages in using fresh that you've encountered?
Magnadibble
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I make a point of not using fresh herbs in dry cured products but like them in fresh or cooked sausages.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:42 pm

DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Magnadibble wrote:Thanks, think I'd much prefer the fresh ingredients where I can use them. Are there any disadvantages in using fresh that you've encountered?

Thoughts
Fresh may be more likely to inoculate with undesirable microorganisms
some herbs/twiggy bits may split the casings if they are too rough (especially if you are using fragile sheep runners) which might influence your choice - it might be better to use a finely ground dry Rosemary in lamb sausage than finely cut fresh (just a thought, never tried it).
Dry will have a drying effect on the mix whereas fresh will have the opposite effect (depending on quantities) so the liquid quantities of the recipe will need to be adjusted slightly.
I tend to use fresh in fresh links and dry in fermented, but on reflection i don't use the 'leaf' part of any herb herbs in dried sausage except bay powder.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 pm

The other thing is, of course, that fresh taste different to dried. Fresh sage and dried sage for example are two very different flavours.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Magnadibble » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about what micro organisms might lurk on fresh. I also find that on some herbs, when wet through cleaning just end up in a soggy clump.
Think experimentation is the key here.
Magnadibble
Registered Member

Return to Beginners