Soppressata -- Spianana Roman

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Soppressata -- Spianana Roman

Postby montanaSalami » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:12 pm

More Salami, even though I still have plenty from last falls 80lbs batch. I’m eating it steadily, but 80lbs (~50lbs after dry-cured) is a lot of Salami. Got to keep the skills up, so a different recipe and some different casings this time. It gives me something fun to do, as I check on the progress of my creation daily. Here is about 12lbs in the shower stall (for a few days to jump start the starter culture), and if the temp and humidity holds these will be ready by Memorial Day. One thing to mention, the Cabelas Carnivore 3/4HP Meat Grinder reduces the labor significantly. It is worth every penny.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Re: Soppressata -- Spianana Roman

Postby montanaSalami » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh, and on Brican's advise I did pin prick the casings this time. The fat was fine ground and the meat was coarse ground as per the instructions from Sonoma Mountain Sausages.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index.htm
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Wed May 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Now starting to grow white mold. Casings getting wrinkled, 10% weight lose so far.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 am

Good luck on your new venture. You mentioned the fat was fine ground but it looks like course to me. What plate did you use for grinding?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Thu May 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Large pieces of fat was finely ground. The fat in tight with the lean meat wasn't separated out and was course ground. The White Mold is spreading. I'd guess in a couple of days it will be completely covered. Visual progress = fun! :)
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Sat May 06, 2017 1:32 pm

The mold is accelerating. I expect full coverage in a few days.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Lookin' Good!!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby montanaSalami » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 pm

The first of the 2017 Salami is now completing. Either Luck or Experience, this is my best yet. I did several things different, so I’m not sure what contributed to the completed results. Whatever it was I’m doing all again, just the same.

In the pictures you can see, good binding, no case hardening, juicy (not dry), and you’ll just have to trust me, very delicious.

There are 4 chubs still drying. They are with the older style casings, so it will be interesting to see how they finish out. Notice that part of the experiments involved using natural Hog Casings, that resulting in very hard salami yet still very moist.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Fri May 26, 2017 1:22 pm

DanMcG wrote:Good luck on your new venture. You mentioned the fat was fine ground but it looks like course to me. What plate did you use for grinding?

Now that the salami is completing, I can see you were right. I said it backwards. Coarse ground the fat, and fine ground the pork.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri May 26, 2017 4:29 pm

...and a fine looking Salami it is too.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby montanaSalami » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks! These became real hard in the last few day. The remaining chubs are of a larger diameter, and a little over 30% weight lose so far. The one in the picture is 40% and so that is the goal for the remaining chubs.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat May 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Good looking face. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby montanaSalami » Sat May 27, 2017 6:08 pm

NCPaul wrote:Good looking face. :D

My most satisfying Salami making so far. I have 2 seasons where temp and humidity are "okay" for making salami, in my primitive storage closet. After this success, I've concluded that April vs. November is preferred. April starts cold and finishes up warm. November is starts warm and finishes cold. So in my experience in my area and conditions the rule is make Salami for the year in April only.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Return to Beginners