Rusk

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Rusk

Postby chris01 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello, I'm an ex pat and have just started to learn to make sausages. Can some one tell me what rusk is? And, which recipes are best to start with. I'm using a kitchen aide sausage attachment which may not be the best should I continue to explore the world of sausage making.
Thank you
Chris
chris01
Newly Registered

Re: Rusk

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:55 pm

Rusk is a dried cracker like substance used to soak up/retain liquids and modify texture. It is typically used at one part rusk to one and a half part liquid. Plain dried breadcrumb can be used in its place at a one to one ratio with the liquid. The use of rusk is traditional for certain sausages but is by no means necessary. If you wish to make rusk yourself, this thread will help:
viewtopic.php?t=339
Using the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment to grind the meat will work fine if the nearly frozen meat is well trimmed of connective tissue, silverskin and gristle. It performs less well as a stuffer (you will want an assistant to help feed the sausage meat in). There are a number of sausages that aren't cased to start with that could also be considered. As to what recipe to make first, you'll have to give some idea of what you like or what you'd like to be able to make. Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners