Coburger Bratwurst

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Coburger Bratwurst

Postby gsevelle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Hey grisell

I'm always up for a new taste so I'll give these a try once I finish what is in the freezer. I do have another question though. You reference a chart which provides fat content by cut of meat. I've been looking for something like that and have not been able to find something usable.

Also you reference pork belly. is this what we in the U.S. would use to make bacon, or is called streaky bacon in the U.K.?

Thanks
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Pork belly is, as you surmised, the meat that you use for bacon in the US. It's anything between 25 and 60% fat in general. Your butcher will help if you tell him that you want 70/30 visible lean (VL). You may need to mix pork picnic shoulder or butt with it to get the correct mix. (I hope I've got those last two terms correct - maybe a US member can advise)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Those terms are correct! :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby gsevelle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm

wheels wrote:Pork belly is, as you surmised, the meat that you use for bacon in the US. It's anything between 25 and 60% fat in general. Your butcher will help if you tell him that you want 70/30 visible lean (VL). You may need to mix pork picnic shoulder or butt with it to get the correct mix. (I hope I've got those last two terms correct - maybe a US member can advise)

Phil

Thanks for the reply. The only problem here is the US the that we no longer have "Butchers" At best you can call them meat cutters. For the most part stores get their meat as prime cuts in vacuum packed bags not as whole animals. Meat cutters an no longer trained in art of butchering and know very little about the composition of the meats they are working with.

Sad state of progress.
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 am

anyone try these with lean beef for the venison? As the old original recipe called for venison? I made a 1000gr batch tonight of just pork with extra fattie in it and boy is it good. Cannot wait to see how the links taste after sitting for a few days. I wonder how the lean beef added would fare up?
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Next week it will be Coburger time here and the beef will be Rump steak. On special for $ 6.90 kilo, good quality, I use it a lot for my smoked Biltong as well. Never had a dud yet!!!!
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby gsevelle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 pm

:drool:
gsevelle
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Next week it will be Coburger time here and the beef will be Rump steak. On special for $ 6.90 kilo, good quality, I use it a lot for my smoked Biltong as well. Never had a dud yet!!!!

Good grief, we've not had prices like that in 30 years. Lucky you.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes