Problem about casing (Tough,Snap,crisp)

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Problem about casing (Tough,Snap,crisp)

Postby kev_e92 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi there,

I have some questions about casing texture that I can't find anywhere and to you guys, it seems not a big problem. :P

First one is about English sausage, from what I know, the case of English sausage should be easy to chew, not rubber-like and tough like chewing gums.

For this, if I soak the natural case for 30mins. It still tough. And the meat inside seem a bit loosen, it's not attach to casing when you cut or eat it.

I have to soak it for over 6 hours or over night then the problem is fine, the casing has the right texture and the meat is attached to the casing like a commercial one.

Question is
- why is it that long? I see many of your advice state that just 30mins is enough or 2hours is fine, but not for me, 6hr+ only.
- Or it depend on the casing supplier? because I live in Thailand and maybe Thai pig is different? :lol:

The process about casing that I do is
- Soak casing over night
- after stuff, put it in fridge for 4+ hours (Not hanging, just in a plate)
- put it in 70c water or steam it around 70-80c for 30mins.
-Cool down in cold water and (Sometime dry it by fan) and pack it

Am I doing it right? Is there anything I can improve on?

Second one is about casing in Bratwurst, this one I want the casing to have a crisp or snap texture like they are in Bratwurst kiosk in Europe.

For this, I can soak it for 30-60 mins. but the method is a little bit different.

What I do is
- After stuff, I put it in 40-60c oven for 3 hours to let the casing dry out.
- Chill it in the fridge
- put it in 70c water or steam it around 70-80c for 30mins.
- Cool down in cold water and dry it by fan and pack it

The oven and fan thing to let the sausage dry are what I get it from local people. And it is quite good for me about the casing texture but as you can see, oven for 3 hours is a bit waste of the time and even not meet the safety std. (There is no cure in my Bratwurst)

Questiong is
- Is it the right way to get the crisp/snap casing texture? what is the root of getting that texture? to dry it?
- What if I want casing to be snappier, how can it be done?
- If I grill, pan fried, oven it, the casing has a good snap. But it is still tough if I microwave it. Is it normal for this type of casing?

Thank you very much for your help.
kev_e92
Newly Registered

Re: Problem about casing (Tough,Snap,crisp)

Postby DanMcG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am

I typically soak mine over night or longer, so it's not just you.

As far as your second question goes, I can't answer it but I love to know the answer to the perfect snap.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Beginners