Water coming out of sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Water coming out of sausages

Postby deags » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 am

HI, newbie here.
Ive done a couple of batches of sausages now.
The last lot were a pork chorizo using pork shoulder and a commercial spice blend, and a beef sausage, fairly plain salt, pepper and thyme spice blend. No added moisture in the mix.

The sausages were frozen pretty much straight away.
When cooking, allowed to defrost naturally, and fried in a pan.

Whilst cooking, a lot of water/moisture seemed to collect between the casing and the meat inside. I let it stay inside until the cooking was almost complete before pricking the case. It was definitely water and not fat. Not too sure why this happens... Is it normal for home made sausages? If not, what do I need to do to prevent it from occurring?
deags
Registered Member

Re: Water coming out of sausages

Postby NCPaul » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D It sounds like the bind of the sausage is not sufficiently developed. The bind not only holds the meat and fat together, it forms a protein network that traps water. An easy way to help improve this is to salt the meat cubes the night before you plan to make sausage. Describe how you mix the sausage and what you see.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby deags » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for that, I will try that.
Next session will probably be in about 10 days. I will make sure I get some salt on the meat night before.
Would you generally do that process with the salt that is included in the recipe?
deags
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Yep, one less thing to remember to add later. Make sure the sausage is thoroughly combined, are you mixing by hand or with a mixer? You should have it as a tight mass that you could almost hold upside down on your hand.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby deags » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am

I posted this already but it didn't appear, so apologies if it comes up as a double post...
I would assume that after salting the meat overnight there will be water/fluid that comes out of the meat, should I discard that fluid, or mix it back in to the mix?

I use a Kenwood Chef grinder attachment, one pass through the coarse plate, and then hand mix the meat with the spices.
deags
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I'd just mix it all back in. Mix your sausage until the meat is sticky - the smell will change as well - it'll smell like sausage rather than mince.

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners