Dry Boerewors

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Dry Boerewors

Postby jacquesv » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Can someone help please, made boerewors this weekend past but when cooking it it is dry, it is allmost as if all the fat is rendering out of it. I do not think i am overcooking it as store bought wors does not dry out like that. I used a mix of 50% beef 50% pork and a total of 20% pork spek to ratio. The texture of the meat is rough minced through a 8mm plate aded vinegar and worcester sauce, and water. What could be wrong?
jacquesv
Newly Registered

Re: Dry Boerewors

Postby NCPaul » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum. :D When and how did you mix in the vinegar? I haven't boerewors but I believe that the vinegar addition is the critical point.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Vinegar can denature the protein and lead to a crumbly sausage. In other sausages with acidic ingredients we would add bicarb of soda to neutralise the acid - but that's not what you want here.

Maybe try one of our Forum Admin's recipes here: http://www.biltongbox.com/boer.shtml or here http://www.biltongbox.com/boer2.shtml or compare them with yours to see whether there's any major differences.

I recall quite a few discussions about the texture of boerewors in the past. Maybe try a search for it - top right hand side of the site. If you use the advanced search try entering Aris as the members name.

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby duames » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm

i make boerewors regularly , i never use the vinegar , just replace it with water and a 70/30 mix of beef to pork is also better . I use a commercial spice mix , Freddy Hirsch Kameelhout Boerewors spice is my families favourite , but hard to find in the uk . hope it helps !
duames
Registered Member

Postby jacquesv » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks Guys
I ad the vinegar after mincing the meat, i am going to try a batch without vinegar.
I use hoe ground spices no prepacked dont know if that could be a problem as well
jacquesv
Newly Registered

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Your vinegar is the trouble maker, jacquesv. Some Chorizo's have the same problems. Try the Kameelhout spice mix. It's great!!! AND no problems.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Beginners