Snack stix

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Snack stix

Postby Big..T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 am

First time doing this, why am I not getting any flow thru my stuffing horn.
Big..T
Registered Member

Re: Snack stix

Postby NCPaul » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D What type of stuffer are you using? What's your recipe? Casing size? Did you add a binder and leave it in the fridge overnight?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Big..T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:26 pm

I used ther pepperoni kit from high mountain. 20 pounds. I did not add a binder. But did add 3 pounds of high temp cheeses. 19 mm collagen casing. And now it's in the fridge since I couldn't get it stuffed last night. I'm not totally new to making sausage. I just never made snack stick before. Thanks.
Big..T
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:50 pm

It's always hard to tell how much experience someone has from one post. If it was me, I would take the meat mixture in 3-5 pound amounts, add 1/4 cup of water and remix. Then immediately try stuffing. It's not recommended to attempt large amounts of meat in the stuffer for snack sticks at one time because of the large back pressure that develops going through a small diameter nozzle (horn).
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Big..T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Ok , sounds good. I'll give that a go when I get home from work. I'll let you know the results.
Big..T
Registered Member

Postby Big..T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:54 pm

NCPaul, thank you for your suggestion... I ended up using 2 1/2 cups of cold water. Instead of trying to stuff all 20+ pounds at once I filled my canister only a quarter full. Everything seemed to go a lot smoother than last night. Now off to the smoker , thanks again
Big..T
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

I'm glad that worked out. :D I'll be back making them in the new year.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners