Sausage stuffing using an electric grinder:

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Sausage stuffing using an electric grinder:

Postby MikeD » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Can anyone give me any tips from their own experiences on the best way to stuff sausages using an electric grinder with stuffing tube attachment. I am curious as to how best to control the output, given that once the machine is switched on, you are then using one hand to feed the meat from the hopper and the other hand to receive and control the flow of sausage forming at the end of the stuffer tube.
I accept the simple answer is to have a second person feeding the meat hopper, but I am curious to know how many people use this method and what the pitfalls are.
My reason for asking of course is by using the grinder for this dual purpose you eliminate the expense of a separate stuffer. I look forward to your helpful replies.
MikeD
Registered Member

Re: Sausage stuffing using an electric grinder:

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

I know that some members have found that dropping balls of groud meat down the mincer helps, but don't use this method of stuffing so can't comment further.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeD » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 pm

I am surprised that no-one seems to use their electric mincer/grinder for stuffing sausages, my model came with a large plate together with two sizes of stuffing tubes, and an attachment ring to fit to the front of the mincer/grinder outlet, I just assumed that most models had the same facility and therefore had hoped that someone who had used theirs for the purpose of sausage stuffing may have been able to give me a pointer or two as to the pros and cons.
So it could be that when I make a batch of sausages shortly it will be a trial and error exercise, and on the basis of my experience I will decide if a dedicated stand alone sausage stuffer is the favoured option.
And thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my enquiry Phil, regards
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Mike, we don't use the mincer/grinder for stuffing 'cos it's a right kerfuffle and takes much longer than using a stuffer.

That said, some people find it OK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby MikeD » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Phil
Looks like the stuffer route then, that should prove an illuminating experience. My first batch of sausage was used purely as sausage meat for various items like sage and onion stuffing meat balls, sausage rolls, stuffed peppers, maloreddus and spaghetti meat balls, my next attempt will be sausages in cases. Thanks for the comments.
MikeD
Registered Member

Postby dps51 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:26 pm

i did use my mincer/grinder for stuffing my sausage
but trying to do it on your own was a waste of time and messy
so i got myself a stuffer
this is the one i got from ebay item number 282726190277
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up
dps51
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques