Pink cooked sausage!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Pink cooked sausage!

Postby jmzhow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi all - Made my first sausages last weekend, not perfect but tasted good and I was happy with my first batch.
What I did find and would like to know if anyone can shed some light on, was that the meat even after cooking was quite pink.

The sausages were cooked - I used a probe to check and they actually went up to 80c (which was more than I wanted but hey ho!).
Most of the info I found on the web regarding pink sausages kept talking about colour not being an indicator of 'doneness' rather than the reason why it happens. I'm not debating doneness as these weren't pink raw looking they were vibrant pink. I'm not concerned, I would just like to know the science.
The only info I found with a reason about a pink colour was this link http://www.topsausages.com/blog/is-pink ... ages-safe/ talking about myoglobin but a. it doesn't explain it as well as i'd like and b. i can't find anything else to substantiate it.

Any ideas, agreements/disagreements?

Sausage ingredients were: pork shoulder, onion powder, fresh tarragon, salt, pepper. No nitrites! I also checked tarragon has a very low natural nitrite level.

I've just started learning about meat curing and sausage making and keen to absorb as much as I can from this wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum. so thanks in advance, all input appreciated.
James
jmzhow
Newly Registered

Re: Pink cooked sausage!

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

I had a commercial company ring me about this very subject a few years ago. Neither of us could work out exactly why. That it's related to myoglobin would be my bet though.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners