Beef brisket

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Beef brisket

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I’m looking to grind my own hamburger. I was thinking about using beef brisket. This is the cheapest meat per pound that I have found so far. My next choice would be chuck roast but they are around $5.00 per pound. I was hoping to keep it in the $3.50 per pound range. I looking for a 80/20 blend or somewhere in that range. What do ya think?
Odin
Registered Member

Re: Beef brisket

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 pm

I use chuck for mine. However, I think that many use a mix. Maybe try chuck and brisket in varying amounts until it suits your taste, and budget.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm

We've reduced our hamburger cost by mixing chuck and pork
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I use a mix of roughly equal parts chuck to brisket and then add a few short ribs (boned of course!). I love what the short ribs add to the flavour, the bite of the brisket, and the overall versitality of the chuck. Combined I have created the perfect burger. Separate, each element was fine but fell a little flat. I should add I also like to lean to the higher fat end of the burger spectrum aiming for roughly 70/30. In the links I included below I agree with the texture/flavour issue of brisket alone that he mentions. Maybe you can buy a few oxtails/short ribs to add flavour into the brisket without breaking the bank? Oxtails are usually dirt cheap and they have great fat/umami to them.

My experience with just chuck or just brisket was ok, but it was missing something. Also, don't mix the meat, you don't want sausage meat. I gently handle it and form it with minimal pressing/squeezing. And don't add any seasonings at all. When you want to cook the burgers just liberally season both sides of the outside with salt and pepper right before grilling/searing.

See these links:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the- ... -beef.html
http://aht.seriouseats.com/2010/03/the- ... rgers.html
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions

Shuswap: I tried that combo and it was good but not a true hamburger the way I like them. I do you a beef and pork mix in my chili.

ComradeQ: That sounds like a good combo. How do you achieve your 30% fat ratio? Brisket fat? The chuck I purchase is about 20% fat. I just picked up a brisket flat, not much fat on that one. I also picked up beef ribs and to my surprise they came out with this large beef rib roast. I never saw anything like it before. The short ribs usually have a good amount of meat but nothing like this thing. Another adventure.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Odin wrote:Thanks for the suggestions

Shuswap: I tried that combo and it was good but not a true hamburger the way I like them. I do you a beef and pork mix in my chili.

ComradeQ: That sounds like a good combo. How do you achieve your 30% fat ratio? Brisket fat? The chuck I purchase is about 20% fat. I just picked up a brisket flat, not much fat on that one. I also picked up beef ribs and to my surprise they came out with this large beef rib roast. I never saw anything like it before. The short ribs usually have a good amount of meat but nothing like this thing. Another adventure.

The fat content comes from the short ribs more than anything else although chuck is usually well marbled. I find brisket alone to be too lean. I have never tried the oxtail suggestion but Kenji Lopez-Alt makes a good case for it and it will be on my list ... also, you get a good byproduct of marrow rich bone to use in stock ;)
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm

I just read the article, excellent, lots of ideas. Many thanks again.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Odin wrote:I just read the article, excellent, lots of ideas. Many thanks again.

Happy to help! Let us know what combo you end up with, interested to see what works for you!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I'd like to point out that this is something that can done with a grinder even if one doesn't have a stuffer (yet).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Odin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Just go back from shopping and picked up some more chuck for the project. The brisket point is thawing and will be ready tomorrow. I tried to buy oxtail, my god what a pricey bony meat, $6.37 pound. That’s off the table for now. The butcher sold me some nice fat, with meat attached, from a sirloin roast so that’s what I’m going to start with and see what I come up with. So it’s going to be chuck, $4.19 pound, brisket flat, $3.99 pound, and sirloin fat with meat, $2.49 pound.

Now to decide on what size to grind and how many times. I read some where the larger the grind the more steak like the burger will be. I’d like to to have a sticky consistency so as not to fall apart when cooking. Add salt to the mix?
Odin
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 am

Odin wrote:Just go back from shopping and picked up some more chuck for the project. The brisket point is thawing and will be ready tomorrow. I tried to buy oxtail, my god what a pricey bony meat, $6.37 pound. That’s off the table for now. The butcher sold me some nice fat, with meat attached, from a sirloin roast so that’s what I’m going to start with and see what I come up with. So it’s going to be chuck, $4.19 pound, brisket flat, $3.99 pound, and sirloin fat with meat, $2.49 pound.

Now to decide on what size to grind and how many times. I read some where the larger the grind the more steak like the burger will be. I’d like to to have a sticky consistency so as not to fall apart when cooking. Add salt to the mix?

Just a suggestion, I find the asian groceries have cuts like oxtail for very good prices, I usually go there for cuts like this and can find them significantly lower in price. I say salt and pepper only the outside of the meat and only immediately before grilling/searing. Pre-salting will make it more dense and chewy like sausage or meatloaf.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:34 pm

ComradeQ

I will check out the Asian Grocery stores. I don’t mind spending to make a fantasticly good Hamburg right now I’m looking to make good hamburger that I can use general purpose. It amazes me the cost of what used to be scrap meat now cost more to main stream meats. Chicken feet, $1.99 pound, cows toung $7.25 pound, pig feet $2.29 pound, pig tail $1.19 pound etc.
Odin
Registered Member

Return to Beginners