Baguettes in a home oven - success at last!

All about bread

Re: Baguettes in a home oven - success at last!

Postby ttx450 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 pm

well tried it w/o much success. I followed the recipe to the teeth, except I used some diastatic malt in the recipe. My unbleached flour has not malt and I added less then what was required of the malt. Also, I keep my flours in the freezer maybe it had less moisture then what you used. Other then that, I followed it to a tee. This batch is about close to 12 cups which is a lot. I could tell when I put it in the mixer there was not enough moisture for the dough, so I added some H2o with hesitant to vary from the recipe. Anyway not enough H2o.

Any ideas? I will readjust (wing) the H2o and make only a 400gr batch and post back being I have a starter going doing it the same way I did except H2o.

ttx450 wrote:thanks.. will try a starter with just bread flour. Need to find a place warm enough to get it going, my house is still on the cool side. I made and tote with light bulbs, might pull it out and use that.

wheels wrote:
ttx450 wrote:thanks for sharing.. so no rye flour just high protein flour?[

That's what I do, but rye would be a good addition, particularly if you're making wholemeal/malt bread.

Phil
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:00 pm

So, the starter worked OK?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ttx450 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 pm

thanks,

I am trying to make a pizza dough with starter tonight. I can tell the starter is not up to par, I mixed it up yesterday morning trying to get it to rise and eventually added a little warmth's to it. It will be interesting to see if I can slide it off the peal with 70% hyd and low acting yeast. :shock:

I use to use starters and know it needs to active and everything takes a little longer then instant yeast. My house is to cool right now for starters and yeast. I noticed in the summer to winter months I have to change yeast amounts in my pizza.

I think its the culture and hydration. I am wondering if the type of rye I used is making a noticeable difference, and the domestic malt? I never back fig your hyd, but the dough is stiff as a brick.

I will give it another go soon.

thanks

wheels wrote:So, the starter worked OK?

Phil
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Ttx450

Just curious are you trying bread products using starters? It seems people are trying to make baguettes from starters and you pizza dough. Am I missing something here of what people are trying to accomplish? I’ve been making bread products for many years and rarely use starters, because I’m lazy, they certainly are important. You can make great baguettes and pizza dough without starters and accomplish this in one day. If using cold water the process is longer and you get better results from the dough with it refrigerated. Every dough process is different and there are so many. I only use dry active yeast stored in the refrigerator for my products.
Odin
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Well, I started our making some bread from 'wheels' recipe. I use to play around with starters for pizza and breads. So I thought I try wheels breadflour starter. To me cooking and sausage making, lot of the fun is experimenting.

Wheels recipe made 4 -400gr loafs and used what was left for a pizza. Out of curiosity, because I did not have much success with the bread, I re-feed the culture and made a pizza dough the next day to see how it responded. It was not working hard enough to make the bread or pizza dough.

I did end up with a thin cracker crust a little chewy, but was eatable. Most of my pizza crust now days I have adapted for ease and equipment.

In the pict left.. I made a per-made crust that went into the frezzer. This is with under active starter that wheels and I were talking about. Just wanted to show this, made them before with regular pizza dough. The frozen pizza bread not to bad, much better then anything from the store. I just slightly under cooked, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Eat it up in a 1-3 weeks. I can cook in a regular oven then.

Going to try something similar to wheels in a clay pot.

Odin wrote:Ttx450

Just curious are you trying bread products using starters? It seems people are trying to make baguettes from starters and you pizza dough. Am I missing something here of what people are trying to accomplish? I’ve been making bread products for many years and rarely use starters, because I’m lazy, they certainly are important. You can make great baguettes and pizza dough without starters and accomplish this in one day. If using cold water the process is longer and you get better results from the dough with it refrigerated. Every dough process is different and there are so many. I only use dry active yeast stored in the refrigerator for my products.
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby Odin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:47 pm

As far as pizza dough goes there is only one in the entire world that’s perfect. It’s made in New Haven, Ct.; there are no substitutes. :->
Odin
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:14 pm

I was not bragging, maybe I was over non useful dough and it was ok. Just trying to make it useful instead of tossing. My regular pizza dough is much better :)

Odin wrote:As far as pizza dough goes there is only one in the entire world that’s perfect. It’s made in New Haven, Ct.; there are no substitutes. :->
ttx450
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Bread Making