Mold inside salami

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Mold inside salami

Postby Philip May » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:26 pm

I recently made first batch of salami. I took them off their hangers a couple of weeks ago when they seemed ready and are now storing them in the fridge and aiming to eat them over the next week or two. The first couple we ate were fine, although the fatter ones were a bit moist in their centers. Mold never developed on the outside of the salamis but over the last week or so we've had mold inside the salamis - mostly greenish/white perhaps tending to grow around fat. Has anyone experienced this? I am wondering if it has formed since cutting into the salami and basically run through the most center see Image. One thing we did do was put whole fennel seeds in half of the batch, could they go moldy? I'm also wondering if it has formed since cutting into the salami, but it's only been a couple of days in the fridge so seems quite a short time for it to develop. I'm planning on another batch later in the year when the weather cools so any advice would be appreciated.
Philip May
Newly Registered

Re: Mold inside salami

Postby NCPaul » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D You'll have to tell us more about your recipe and process for us to offer much help. The meat appears to have oxidized or cured unevenly. There shouldn't be enough oxygen to support mold growth. Which culture did you use?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:17 am

Agree with NCPaul, colour is all wrong on that, like is was not cured. Did you use curing salts and cultures? What was your total salt %?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Philip May » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Not sure if this thread is still active, thanks for the replies and sorry for not coming back sooner. I followed the instructions in the River Cottage guide, which suggests only using salt as the curing agent and from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere it suggests a low % of salt to meat. Also I think I may have dried out the casing on the initial 24 hour cure when I had the heat relatively high but by mistake did not allow for that heat driving the humidity down (river cottage book does not discuss this point) . As for the greenish bits I was worried about we made two batches at same time, one with pepper corns the other with fennel seeds mixed in. I think only the ones with fennel had this blue green tinge in them and I think perhaps the fennel seeds may have sprouted in the damp environment (rather than mold) is that possible?
Philip May
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 am

The problems with that salami go beyond the fennel seeds. I would suggest this book as a scientifically sound guide to making cured sausages.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Productio ... Marianskis
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques