Beginners question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Beginners question

Postby SengsSausage » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 am

I am making a chicken sausage using chicken breast and skin for the fat content. I mince the meat and skin through a 6mm plate. I then put the meat mix back into the mixer and add the herbs and spices. The issue I am having is when the batch is mixing the fat content is sticking to the side walls and it is also catching alot of my herbs.
Is there any tips out there that might help keep the herbs in the meat mix and not on the side of the mixer?
Thanks
SengsSausage
Newly Registered

Re: Beginners question

Postby badjak » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 am

Could it be that you are not working cold enough?
Make sure your chicken breast and skin is close to freezing, before running it through the grinder
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Re: Beginners question

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

There is a lot of sticky myosin in chicken breast that releases from the meat when mixed with salt. Keeping the meat cold, as badjak suggests, helps but I like adding a filler like breadcrumbs or cooked rice with chicken stock to balance out the bind.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners