just made some boerewors !

Introductions and chatter

just made some boerewors !

Postby bern » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:22 pm

just made some traditional wors and another batch with cheese and onion.boy o boy !! did it taste great but threr are a few problems
1. i have a moulinue mincer with the stuffer all in 1. once i minced the meat i took blade and plate out, put the tube on. i had to put a little oil in the hog casings and this helped.
2. the meat in the casings came out course but parts of it seemed to be quiet fine almost like sausage meat very fine.

i might get a rebber stuffer but if i put course mince in the stuffer and squeeze it into the casing will this not pack it too tight. also will it not mash it up and become very fine mince in the casing :?
bern
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:12 pm

Try partially freezing your meat before mincing/grinding it - this should help with the fine texture.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:24 pm

The screw feeder on the mincer type stuffers does tend to over macerate the meat a lot of the time.
Chilling the meat to freezing point can help but the best way of keeping a coarse texture is to use a piston and cylinder stuffer like the Reber.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby bern » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:59 am

the meat was very cold i spiced it up then placed it in the freezer while i watched the rugby. looks like i will invest in the reber
bern
Registered Member

Return to Chatter