Bagels and Bacon......

All about bread

Bagels and Bacon......

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:40 am

If you make your own bacon why not go the whole hog and make your bagels too.

Several years ago I made a couple of batches but the effor didn't seem worth the result.....

But I came across a Chef that makes a couple a dozen every day for his customers and this is his recipe. They take about hour and half from start to finish but you are not working all the time..I used my Kenwood Major with the dough hookl on speeds 1 and 4.

Do stick exactly to the weights.

Yield: 24 at 100g

1.5kg Strong flour
35g Yeast (or two sachets of easyblend yeast)
45g Salt
45g Dark soft brown sugar (in the mix)

800ml water
75ml Vegetable oil

Mix for 8 mins 1st speed
5 mins 2nd speed

You should have a smooth creamy dough, proof for only 20 mins bulk, divide and shape.
Then chill the shaped dough for 30 minutes... this will help with the poaching.

I poach mine in a pan of water, just off the simmer into which I add a generous handful of dark soft brown sugar.
Poach for 30 seconds each side
Bake at 240 c
Preferably in a deck oven or a fan oven

The only thing is not to let the dough proof too much, as your bagel should be fairly dense. You can even freeze the raw shaped dough, then defrost and poach when ready.

Have fun...

You can halve the quantities if you wish or you can freeze the results.
When you take the out of the poacher you can seed them whilst still wet and place on your baking sheet already to go into the oven.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:14 pm

Isn't the mix of bagels and bacon a bit odd? Bagels are just about the only Kosher bread that everyone has heard of, and bacon isn't, well, all that Kosher :D .

There's no reason why not, but I've never heard of the combo before.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 pm

'Tis if it's been blessed by the Rabbi t !!

NO I know what you mean but I used to go into a cafe and there were always builders in there that ordered a Bacon bagel.....

Have it with a nice bit of hot salt beef.............

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:34 pm

Not being funny, just had to ask.

I think a bagel with bacon and a dab of cream-cheese and a some black pepper sounds like a Sunday morninig breakfast par exelance. What day is it, mmmmmmm
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:50 pm

A sausage patty and an egg over hard, topped with a slice of cheese and stuck between halves of a bagel, made for a great breakfast this morning. :D
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby tristar » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:56 am

Wohoki said:
Isn't the mix of bagels and bacon a bit odd? Bagels are just about the only Kosher bread that everyone has heard of, and bacon isn't, well, all that Kosher

You could if you wished to stay kosher or in fact halal use beef or turkey bacon, in fact some of the turkey bacon I have purchased recently I have prefered to the real thing, yes I realise it is probably a sacreligious thing to say on this forum, but it was really good, crispy, well flavoured and so simple and quick to cook! I wish I could reproduce it at home!

Regards,
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby andym » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Bagel with cream cheese and a spot of Tescos "Beefy" spread(like Bovril but actually containing Beef!)spread over one half,then a generous helping of Discovery Red Chillis and Pastrami!Sheer heaven! :lol: :lol: :lol:
andym
Newly Registered

Postby vinner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:38 pm

I live in a primarily Jewish neighborhood, but being Catholic, love homemade bacon. I make it with duck breast for my neighbors but most prefer the pork.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:01 am

Mind you when I was a kid in the East end it was a common thing for the BYGAUL man to come round with his bell and tray of BYGAULS on his head yelling out........ BYGAULS....LARGE HOT BYGAULS .......whilst ringing furiously.

Note I used the pronounctiation I was brought up to use and had no knowledge of the spelling.

I didn't really know the difference between kosher things or jews and us come to that........I just knew I liked bygauls.

In later years when they appeared in supermarkets and the kids made every effort to pronounced them as BAYGELS I thought they were some American speciality straight from New York.

How wrong you can be.

It is much the same as a cockney washing his face in a bison and the Yanks used to shoot them........

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making