Looking for Sausage supplier in France

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Looking for Sausage supplier in France

Postby Chez Barenton » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:21 pm

Anyone know of a butcher who has set up in France?

Were opening a deli shop in France with sausages as one of our specialities, unfortunatley we cant make them ourselves due to legislation so would so much like to find a supplier who can make recipies for us with French produce. Please help save us and our neighbours from the one choice only sausage market we live in here, Coopers
Chez Barenton
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:10 pm

What legslation doesn't let you make your own sausages? I always thought that the French ignored all legislation if it suited them.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Chez Barenton » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Yes we can make our own but unfortunately cant sell them, not without getting a diploma here first (and our French definetely isnt upto the standard of going to college yet!).

Have you ever tasted French sausages? yuk, this is why we are seeking a supplier so that we can introduce the French to the delights of different flavours and better quality. It needs to be made here though and not imported from the UK because the French always prefer 'fabrique en France' - fair enough as there produce is so good after all.

And yes they do have a habit of ignoring legislation, but not of ignoring Brits who ignore it.

There must be a butcher out there who has moved out here, come on where are you?? Coopers
Chez Barenton
Registered Member

Re: Looking for Sausage supplier in France

Postby sausagefans.com » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Chez Barenton wrote:Anyone know of a butcher who has set up in France?

Were opening a deli shop in France with sausages as one of our specialities, unfortunatley we cant make them ourselves due to legislation so would so much like to find a supplier who can make recipies for us with French produce. Please help save us and our neighbours from the one choice only sausage market we live in here, Coopers

We get a lot of emails to sausagefans.com asking about shipping sausages abroad, often to France, and have often put the question to our butchers. However, its not been found to be viable to ship them to France for small quantities.

Have you had any luck?

What volumes do you anticipate selling?

What price point could you sell at?

Where is your Deli?

Thanks

Stephen
Love sausages?
www.sausagefans.com
sausagefans.com
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:44 pm

I take massive exeption to your claim that French sausage are nasty. Where do you buy yours? I spend a couple of weeks each summer in sausage heaven in Northern France, knowing that each small town has a butcher who turns out superb bangers, boudin noir and the like, to a standard that would win prizes in the UK.
It's only when I get back to the UK that I realise just how impoverished the average palate in England is, and that is why I make my own. My Gold Standard is a hot-smoked French pork sausage that is THE finest foodstuff on the face of the earth. Endlessly edible.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Here, here!

I call the toulouse sausage to give evidence in support of the excellence of the French sausage.

Cant make a cassoulet without one!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:41 pm

I've tried to make Toulouse, but they're not the same: I think that the pork is better in France. (Still not bad, tho', a bit of bacon really lifts a banger.)

I think that what I wanted to say above is that if British butcher's sausage was as good as French butcher's sausage, I wouldn't bother making my own.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby sausagefans.com » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:08 pm

My experience of French sausages is somewhat limited.

However, I don't think I could say they were nasty. But perhaps it is fair to say that they are different? I can certainly see why English folk abroad lust the Great British Banger...

Personally I am looking forward to the same sort of couple of weeks in the summer which you describe!
Love sausages?
www.sausagefans.com
sausagefans.com
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:12 pm

Get a recipe, mix up the ingredients, and give it to a local french butcher to make for you.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagefans.com » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:51 am

aris wrote:Get a recipe, mix up the ingredients, and give it to a local french butcher to make for you.

The problem is the raw materials won't be the same...
Love sausages?
www.sausagefans.com
sausagefans.com
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:39 am

Which raw materials are you referring to? Most spices in the UK are imported. The only thing you might not get in France is Rusk - and that is easily obtained in the UK and can be imported into France.

What i'm saying is, instead of trying to find a British butcher in France, find a French butcher who will make sausages to your specification. If necessary, provide him with the spice mixtures and detailed method for making these sausages.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagefans.com » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:44 am

aris wrote:Which raw materials are you referring to? Most spices in the UK are imported. The only thing you might not get in France is Rusk - and that is easily obtained in the UK and can be imported into France.

What i'm saying is, instead of trying to find a British butcher in France, find a French butcher who will make sausages to your specification. If necessary, provide him with the spice mixtures and detailed method for making these sausages.

I meant the spices specifically but the meat might be different. The feedback from expats living in France that has come to us at Sausagefans.com is that the sausages just don't taste the same. I can't speculate on exactly what is different. You might not buy this and I need to try the sausages myself to full understand but I do know there is growing demand for exporting British sausages.

Take something like Musks for example, if you're in East Anglia chances are you might have had Musks sausages either recently or when a child. Now Musks use a secret blend of spices, bread, very very lean meat (to which they have to add fat) and they make the sausages by hand. That is the sort of taste I think people are after and its impossible (ish) to replicate.
Love sausages?
www.sausagefans.com
sausagefans.com
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 am

I'd guess that what the ex-pats are after is a bit of nostalgia, and a taste of life back home. The pork sold in most French butchers is usually locally sourced and outdoor reared, so it might be a bit "porky" for folk raised on British meat. The spices and herbs used will be the same, but in different proportions, and the sausage have no rusk, so they require more care while cooking them than most Brits lavish on their bangers, if they are not to end up dry.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:20 am

Strange thing nostalgia, when I lived in Nigeria I longed for brussels sprouts.

Completely illogical, and totally unavailable!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby sausagefans.com » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:37 am

Wohoki wrote:I'd guess that what the ex-pats are after is a bit of nostalgia, and a taste of life back home. The pork sold in most French butchers is usually locally sourced and outdoor reared, so it might be a bit "porky" for folk raised on British meat. The spices and herbs used will be the same, but in different proportions, and the sausage have no rusk, so they require more care while cooking them than most Brits lavish on their bangers, if they are not to end up dry.

Do they use another sort of filler?
Love sausages?
www.sausagefans.com
sausagefans.com
Registered Member

Next

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.