ISO: Parson Snows

Introductions and chatter

ISO: Parson Snows

Postby deb » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Hi. On a thread of mine on the Recipes part of the Curing section that was asking for a traditional bacon cure you asked which type I was looking for and that you would get back. I replied that I was after a dry cure but have heard nothing from you. This is probably because you're busy and a bit short of time or you have forgotten. If it's either of these is there any chance you could find time to post one. Please don't feel hassled in any way, as you have said elsewhere you are very busy, just if you should have time, and a recipe, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
deb
Registered Member

Dry Cure Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:48 pm

Haven't forgotten... Working on it now. I'll post it by the end of this week

Sorry for any inconvenience

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby deb » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:02 pm

Thanks very much Parson. No problem just thought I'd ask incase (I personnaly have a mind like a sieve). The end of the week will be fine but if you're pushed for time it can wait.
deb
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:49 pm

Check this site out guys!!

www.merlinunwin.co.uk they are publishers of good books.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Bacon Cure

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:06 pm

Deb

I happen to be one of the few people who will never forget "What's His Name?", this said and done (I'm not stalling) I don't know whether you will receive a post (DRY BACON CURE) this week or not. You and others have asked about this topic therefore I only want to respond to this once. Earlier today I sent Franco a PM asking for his input for pertinent information as to regards his Prague Powders etc. I now await this answer. There is no reason for me to present you with calculations and recipes that will be flawed from the outset. This aside I am still working on your response and expect to probably have to tweak/fine tune it at the end.

Hoping you understand
(NITRATES AND NITRITES ARE DEADLY, better late than DEAD)

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:29 am

To be honest I agree. I have asked in a post for amounts of nitrites in the prague powder but unfortunately never received an answer.

It can't be for commercial reasons we are not all likely to go out and formulate our own prague powder #1.

Come on Franco fess up...
:)
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby deb » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:30 am

I understand fully Parson. It's very good of you to take the time and trouble and to be honest if you don't have the time or it causes you too much trouble just say, I won't take offence.
I could always go the route of others and buy some of Franco's cure but for some reason I'm one of those people that likes to make their own stuff up, I'm the same with things like spice mixtures, curry powders, sauces etc..
I gave the slight nudge because I know what I'm like. I'm very forgetful. Also I don't have full control of the computer, at times I just don't get access long enough to post anything significant and this can delay my answering people.
deb
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:39 am

Oddley wrote:To be honest I agree. I have asked in a post for amounts of nitrites in the prague powder but unfortunately never received an answer.

It can't be for commercial reasons we are not all likely to go out and formulate our own prague powder #1.

Come on Franco fess up...
:)

This is fairly well documented (unless Franco's prague powder is different).

From www.alliedkenco.com:

Prague Powder #1 Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. This cure is sodium nitrite ( 6.25% ) mixed with salt ( 93.75 % ) As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 � F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20 % of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. Use 1 oz. for 25 lb. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5lb. of meat. Mix cure with cold water.

Prague Powder #2 Used with dry-cured products. Has 1 oz. of sodium nitrite with .64 oz. of sodium nitrate to each lb. of salt. Use with products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. This cure, which is sodium nitrate, acts like a time release, slowing breaking down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide. This allows you to dry cure products that take much longer to cure. (A cure with sodium nitrite would dissipate too quickly.) Use 1 oz. of cure for 25 lbs. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5 lbs. of meat. Mix cure with cold water.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:09 pm

Yes all well and good then all Franco has to do is confirm these amounts are the same as his supplier provides to him. Is that to much to ask?

Better safe than sorry.
Last edited by Oddley on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

prague powders

Postby Franco » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:56 pm

The amounts aris quotes are correct, these are the safe levels allowed by the USDA.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:05 pm

Thank you for the reply Franco. Much appreciated
Oddley
Registered Member

Prague Powder #1

Postby Parson Snows » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:27 pm

Thanks Franco the figures given by Aris are the ones that I'll use for my cure calculations. Nobody in there right mind is going to rush out and try and make this when you can buy an inexpensive, safe, stable product that is readily available. I can only think of a few people (myself included) that have gram scales.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows

Info that I managed to obtain.

Prague Powder #1, Pink Curing Salt
Also referred to as Tinted Cure

Ingredients:
Salt, Sodium Nitrite (6.25 %), Red #3, less than 2% Sodium Silico Aluminate & Propylene Glycol added as flowing agent.

Prague Powder
Ingredients: salt, sodium nitrite (6.25 %) , glycerin with FD #3 used to color cure in accordance with MDI Bulletin 656 of 4/1/74. Not edible on its own.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:43 pm

Len Poli has a slightly more accurate description on his site:

Cure #1 contains 6.75% Sodium nitrite; 93.25% Salt (for fresh and cooked sausages)

Cure #2 contains 6.75% Sodium nitrite; 4% Sodium nitrate and 89.25% Salt (for dry-cured sausages)

Tender Quick contains 0.5% Sodium nitrite, 0.5% Sodium nitrate, Salt, Sugar, and Propylene glycol (for brined meats)

Saltpeter is 100% Potassium nitrate (not recommended...to difficult to measure in the small quantities needed)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:11 pm

Aris I think you must have misread the text from Len Poli. The following is copied and pasted from his site.
Len Poli wrote:Prague Powder #1: sometimes called "pink salt", Insta-Cure, Cure #1 or Modern Cure. This cure contains 6.25% sodium nitrite mixed with salt. Use 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5 lb. of meat. (2.5 grams of cure per kilogram of meat) Mix cure with cold water. This cure is not interchangeable with Cure #2.

Prague Powder #2: sometimes called Cure #2 or Insta-Cure #2 has 6.25% of sodium nitrite with 4% of sodium nitrate mixed with salt and must be used with any products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. The sodium nitrate in this cure slowly breaks down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide over a long period of time. Use 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5 lbs. of meat. (2.5 grams of cure per kilogram of meat) Mix cure with cold water. This cure is not interchangeable with Cure #1.

Original text can be found Here.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:05 am

Nothing misread - I copied and pasted from here:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/Tips.htm

It's the same information with regards to amounts of nitrita/nitrate in standard prague powder.
aris
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chatter