How do you....

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

How do you....

Postby Lurch and his tribe » Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 pm

get round the problem of fine weather. The last few days have produced far to hot and saturday muggy weather certainly past the recommended 15 degrees. My fridge tho gets the temp to low and also gets humid. How do you guys get round the issue as i sure cant be the only one struggling can I?
Lurch and his tribe
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Lurch

What produce are you talking about???

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Lurch and his tribe » Tue May 09, 2006 6:10 am

doh... that would have helped wouldnt it. In this case parma ham.
Lurch and his tribe
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue May 09, 2006 6:50 am

I find the best place in my home or shed that is nearest to the optimum 15�C and 70% RH and place the ham there. It is a constant monitoring situation throughout and I will move it to a different location if needed. If the temperature gets too high for too long I put it in the fridge until the temp gets a bit lower. Not the ideal situation I know, but have to make the best of what is available.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue May 09, 2006 9:29 am

If you have the space what about a wine cooling fridge, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-Door-Wine- ... dZViewItem

I have a small 12 bottle one in the dining room at 16 degrees, which is now home to meat, not wine :)
It has a fan to pump in the cool air so I'm not sure what the humidity is like.

I don't know what the highest temperature is that a domestic fridge could be set to.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 pm

I've just monitored my little wine fridge and it's at 15.4 degrees and 63% humidity, not bad as the room it's in is 25 degrees. I think its days as a wine fridge are officially over!
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed May 10, 2006 3:17 pm

saucisson

Those are pretty good conditions for the time of year, what is the internal height, my ham is over 24" long.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 10, 2006 4:28 pm

I think you'd need a bigger one Paul. It's 16" by 11" by 13". If your ham was 2-3" shorter you'd be able to cram it in diagonally, but it's fine for the hocks and other kilo pieces of meat I'm learning on.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed May 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to measure it.. I would have been a bit peeved if I had got one and my precious ham didn't fit. Will have to do some close monitoring as where I was going to hang it was 64% RH and 22�C today.. It's still hanging over the emersion at present, smelling peppery and delicious.. needs a few more days yet.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 10, 2006 5:06 pm

You're very welcome Paul :) They come in all shapes and sizes, just keep an eye on ebay, I got mine for �20.

Dave

I must sort out an avatar at some point :D
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Wed May 10, 2006 7:02 pm

I use a 50 bottle cooler, 55 degrees F and 60%RH, but have to bring it inside the house instead of the garage in the heat of summer (now 90 degrees F plus at home). The interior height is about 30 inches. I got it at a scratch and dent sale. new, for $90 USD.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed May 10, 2006 7:30 pm

Just a thought, how is done authentically? Those hams you see hanging up under the eaves of a Pyrennean farmhouse when it's 38 degrees centigrade outside and 30 degrees centigrade in the shade?

Do they cure/ mature over winter and then it can take anything?
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Lurch and his tribe » Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 pm

must report first spots of white mould appeared yesterday and day before and it smelt fine. today however it smells very musky even cheesy and slight spots of a dark green black mould are present. I therfore think I have wrecked it, gutted as skin has gone very hard and over last few days the flesh seems to have really started to dry out. Oh well I have a second bit coming to the end of its cure so I will step up my search for a suitable storage device.
Lurch and his tribe
Registered Member

My Parma Ham

Postby akesingland » Tue May 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi All

I am a beginner but jumped in at the deep end with a 5.5Kg (Tamworth) tunnel boned leg, drying for just over 30 days. I too worry when it gets sunny down south (Harrow, Middlesex, UK). However I think we worry too much about the magical 15 degrees 70% RH. I think unless we have consistant prolonged temperatures above 20 degrees say, we should not worry too much. My mold has just started, a greeny white. But like an expectant Father (which I have been) I am proud of it. Also if you see the real thing in Spain, France or Italy, mold is a good thing and a sign of age.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Will My ham come up

Postby akesingland » Tue May 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Sorry all

Just tried to put my ham as my picture. So just testing!

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners