Bacon

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Bacon

Postby moggy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:11 am

I tried making some dru cure bacon this last week - using HFW recipe from his meat book. I probably left it in a little bit long due to being away at the weekend, and to say the end result was less than perfect would be an undestatement.
I just did two small pieces of belly as a starter as i didn't want to waste it if it didn't work out.
It was way, way too salty - I guess from being in a little to long in the cure. Now that I know I can probably remedy by soaking it before using it.

However it didn't taste like bacon, it just tastes like salty pork. How do you go about getting that bacon taste?
moggy
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 pm

HI Moggy, I had totally the opposite experience, mine was no where near salty enough!

I purchased dry cure from this site and have ended up putting salt into the cure, which is now OK. I think it really does depend on how much salt is in the cure to start with. OOI I now smoke my bacon in the Bradley so the taste is changed anyway but I still have a few people who like their bacon green and they seem to come back for more so hopefully I have now cracked it. However I have just recieved my next packet of cure and it looks totally different. The original looked and had the consistency of brown sugar and this one looks like a big bag of salt, I hope it does not taste like a big bag of salt!

Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners