Made My First Sausages Last Night!!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Made My First Sausages Last Night!!

Postby ando » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am

Hi All

Last Night I finally made my first sausages, really pleased with the results and can't wait til tonight when I'm going to make some more.

I did 2 flavours, sage and onion, wild garlic and black pepper.

I stuffed them in to hogs casing and found these easy to work with, the only thing that I didn't enjoy was putting the casings on the filler tube, took bloody ages.

The tasted great and some friends popped in and finished of the ones my wife and I didn't eat for tea, I cooked 8!! and they really enjoyed them.

Anyway heres some pics of them.

Didn't get a pic of them fully cooked, they didn't last long enough!! :lol:

Cheers

Mark.
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:15 am

looks great Ando, well done you.

Re getting the skins on the stuffer, how long did you soak them for? and did you wash them out after soaking?

The above shoud provide you with a good amount of lubrication to get the skins on the stuffer tube, and it does get easier with practice.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby ando » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:42 am

HI WW

Thanks.

The casing were in soak for 6 hours and well washed before, I put some lemon juice in with them.

When putting them on the tube, I followed something I read on here about putting the tip of the tube in the bowl under the water and putting some water down the tube to fill the casings a little this worked quiet well, but like you said, I think pratice is whats needed, its not put me off though one bit.

Cheers

Mark.
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:03 am

A dab of oil on the tube first, and then feed the casing on from a bowl of water. Works a treat. I usually soak for 24 hours as well (which reminds me.......)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:34 am

Try and leave the sausages in the fridge for 24hrs before scoffing them. It gives time for the flavours to infuse.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby ando » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:20 am

pokerpete wrote:Try and leave the sausages in the fridge for 24hrs before scoffing them. It gives time for the flavours to infuse.

I'll try, but they were my first and I couldn't wait!! :lol: :lol:
Mark
ando
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:41 am

ando wrote:I'll try, but they were my first and I couldn't wait!! :lol: :lol:

An experience which I'm sure we've all shared. :)

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Mark again........

Could not quite follow you explaniation of putting the tip of the tube under water etc, so I will tell you how I do it (I expect its the same but here goes). Soak the skins as you have done, take a length of skin and find the opening at the end, pull apart and run water down it all the way until the water comes out of the other end. Keep the open end open as it were by sliding half an inch(ish) onto your thumb or finger. Take the casing to your stuffer which has the tube attached and take off the casing from your thumb / finger keeping the end open and slide onto the stuffing tube.

As previously said a little oil on the tube may prove to assist in transfer.

Keep on keeping on its really worth it.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners