Frozen meat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Frozen meat

Postby monkey pig keepers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Please can anyone advise us if we can use defrosted meat (pork) to make salami/chorizo or any other fermented products, or does it have to be fresh i.e never been frozen.

Thanks

Bob and Catherine :)
monkey pig keepers
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:19 pm

monkey pig keepers

I have used pork that has been defrosted after freezing, with no ill effects.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Frozen Meat

Postby monkey pig keepers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Thank you Paul

We have never done this before, we have the equipment and all the ingredients (we think) are there any problems with making salami in our weather conditions?

Does any one have any tips or recipies?

Is there any good places to look for beginners like us?

Apperciate any help
Thanks

Bob and Catherine
monkey pig keepers
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:53 pm

welcome to the forum monkey pig keepers.

monkey pig keepers wrote:are there any problems with making salami in our weather conditions?

Yes there are, For making salami you are looking for temperatures of 10-13 oC and a humidity of about 70%.

monkey pig keepers wrote:Is there any good places to look for beginners like us?

You won't find anywhere on the web with more comprehensive information than here. before you start making salami may I suggest you spend a considerable amount of time browsing the forums or using the search button at the top to find specific info. I would hate to see you have a failure the first time you tried.

EDIT: have a look at the link below for a beginers guide

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0002.htm
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:30 pm

I think it is beneficial to put the frozen meat into the fridge section and allow it to temper until you can poke a needle (stitcher) into the thickest part without meeting ice.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:51 pm

My butcher has recommended just what Pete suggests above. Slow de-frost in the fridge, and work as cold as you can.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby monkey pig keepers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:44 pm

thanks to all for such a warm welcome to the forum . we are very impressed with the amount of help waiting to spring to our rescue. lets hope you are all still there with antidotes to our cullenary forays. We will be taking in a bit more reaserch as recommended by one of your members , but we are very glad to hear that we can use our frozen meat for our project , it would be a great pity for us to have reared our own pork only to find out that we had to go and buy some to make salami's and the like because we had frozen it all . Bob & Catherine..
monkey pig keepers
Registered Member

Re: Frozen meat

Postby dougal » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:07 pm

monkey pig keepers wrote:Please can anyone advise us if we can use defrosted meat (pork) to make salami/chorizo or any other fermented products, or does it have to be fresh i.e never been frozen.

Hi folks!

Frozen meat for cured products to be eaten raw.
Not only is it possible, but it is specifically recommended (or even mandated) by the food health authorities in some parts of the world. (This is to deal with a seriously unpleasant parasite, trichinosis, which fortunately is almost unknown in the UK.)

Defrosting meat.
Its always a good idea to do this in the fridge.
One reason being that it stays below 4C - out of the spoilage danger zone.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:57 am

Bob and Catherine:

Some would counsel novices (like me) who are starting out, to make fresh sausages for cooking ( or freezing and then cooking) before starting on curing meats. The curing/aging of meats is not difficult, but require an adherence to methods one might consider scentific to be successful, and safe.They are all delicious, and will allow you to make great use of your equipment while preparing tasty treats, while giving you the confidence to try cured meats and sausages perhaps later.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Return to Beginners