Sausagemaking.org Mixes ?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:15 pm

My appologies for jumping to conclussions. :oops:

(I do, however, get black pepper, black and green cardamom and star anise sent from Cochin, my corriander, cummin and saffron from Southern Spain, all sent by mates, and I grow most of the rest myself so I'd dispute that yours are better than mine. No excuse for being rude tho', so......)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi Wohoki

I too am sorry for assuming my spices would be better than yours so why don't we agree they are more than likely as good as each other.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I was in a bad mood when I posted my earlier comment about commercial mixes, no excuse....

Quite right, peace all round and handshakes for everyone. :D (Especially for Aris, sorry for being snotty.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Wohoki wrote:I was in a bad mood when I posted my earlier comment about commercial mixes, no excuse....

Quite right, peace all round and handshakes for everyone. :D (Especially for Aris, sorry for being snotty.)

Whatever your comments were about commercial mixes I don't know.
They were used by retail butchers, and sausage manufacturers to make a finished product that had a broad appeal to the consumer and their young offspring.
Obviously this development took decades to find a balance in their own competetive marketing world.
Persons on this site like a bit of zip and zing in their own products, but unfortunately would perish in the commercial world.
I never came across a decent beef sausage seasoning, but my favourite pork sausage spicing was Amasal Gold.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Cajun

Postby monkey pig keepers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi Banger Boy . I can recommend the cajun sausage seasoning just one tip as follows:- when the instructions on the mix call for 2kg of meat ensure your scales are set to the bit that says kg and not lbs . if you do as i did you wil need a loo roll in the fridge for the morning after the tasting.
monkey pig keepers
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 am

Sausagemaker - i'm curious to know the processes you use to get the same flavour each time. Does someone physically taste each spice, or the mixture, or is there some scientific way of doing it, or do you just go by the grading of the spices given by the spice supplier?
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Aris

Yes someone does taste all the mixes against the last one made, we also check colour both dry & in solution,Ph & salt content, if anything is different then it is put into quarantine before scrapping or re-mixing.
As for the spices & herbs all of these are bough to specification & must be supplied with a certificate to ensure it is correct these are also tasted & inspected prior to use.
In case you are wondering how this is done it is tasted in either a neutral soup on on mashed potato

Hope this helps

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Interesting. I've seen how tea tasters do their business (not a pretty sight) - but it does certainly ensure that the next brew tastes like the last one!
aris
Site Admin

Postby Bangerboy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Ah ha, well as promised, I am now going to reveal how I got on with the sausage makers mixes.

Well Firstly must I point out how impressed I was with the speed of delivery and packaging etc.

The packets conveniently give good, simple advice on measures and mixing.

The Goan Vindaloo mix created very flavoursome sausages but to a few people who tried them they were a bit over powering, not heat wise, but a bit too garlicy for some. Myself and others enjoyed them.

Now the Cumberland mix undoubtably helped me create my finest sausages to date. My partner was a Chef in many Top London eateries, and even she was well impressed and she, as you can imagine is brutally honest about food. She hated my previous attempts !!!

Not to slag off the competition, but the sausages I made with thier ingredients were almost substandard when put along side these.
Im a fussy sausage eater, and would only ever eat my butchers finest, but i must say my Cumberlands easily match his , if not better them.

So many thanks. I was starting to waver and think that I would never make a good one. But now I have!

I shall try some of the other mixes before I get brave and start experimenting.

Now I have given my honest opinion, and my opinion may differ to others. But I hope this short review will help.
Bangerboy
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners