First Timer..Where would be a good start

General Cheese making discussion

First Timer..Where would be a good start

Postby DarrinG » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:56 pm

I've always been interested in cheese making & eating. I would love to start making some at home but don't know where to start.

At home we go through a lot of cream cheese, cheddar & mozzarella.

Where would be a good place to start.

Thanks

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:10 pm

Nowhere better than here. There are several of us fledgling starters who will do what we can to help but sadly our Mentor (Rik) is in hospital at the moment.

Search for the cheeses you are interested in on this site and you will most likely find some recipes. Then we will do our best to guide you through them.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:16 am

Hi DarrinG

Have a look at the soft cheese section for the neuchatel recipe. It's quick and easy and very versatile. I've made lots of batches of this and jazzed it up with different herbs and spices, rolled it in different coatings and generally experimented. Its a good one to start with as you get to try it almost immediately.

I've learned cheesemaking from this site and Rik's excellent instructions. So far I've made the Stilton, Lancashire, Camembert and goats cheese, and of course, the neuchatel. They have come with varying degrees of success, but all have been edible and with great flavour.

I've just used the last of my own cheese and had to buy some. My other half said he preferred the home made. I often feel he 'puts up' with my forays into home production of sausages, bacon, cheese etc as he seldom comments, but he was quite spontaneous with his verdict on the cheese.

Do come back with questions and we'll try and help, but as Dave says, it has to be a holding action until Rik is back in harness.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:18 am

It should read Neufchatel, not Neuchatel.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:49 am

A nice, easy start is a cream cheese made by straining home made yogurt. you don't need starters, rennet or anything much apart from milk,
live yogurt and a cloth. I'll post a method a bit later.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat