Cheesey heaven

General Cheese making discussion

Cheesey heaven

Postby saucisson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:14 pm

My own cheese, my own cured beef, freshly picked blackberries from the hedge and a pint of my personal recipe homebrew, Oh and I seem to have eaten the homemade bread that was on the plate a minute ago :lol:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jackie.mar ... edited.JPG
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DarrinG » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:18 am

That looks great. I am trying to get into homebrew & cheese making myself. I just need to find the time.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:31 am

Hello saucisson!That looks like a nice creamy cheese,what type of cheese is it?I bought myself a Dutch style cheese press but I didnt get my hands on any other cheese making equipment yet.I cant wait to get started making cheese!

Michelle
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:21 am

Georgie wrote:Hello saucisson!That looks like a nice creamy cheese,what type of cheese is it?
Michelle

Don't ask :) LOL It was my first attempt at Stilton and I forgot to salt it. At first tasting a month ago it was pronounced bland and in need of salt so I left it to mature some more. Now it is extremely potent! tasting like a very strong Camembert with blue cheese overtones.

Dave

Edit: P.S. Michelle, Did you pick up the cider recipe I posted for you on Spuddy's homebrew forum?
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby porker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Ahh... satisfaction with a job well done.

Best Regards, :)
porker
Registered Member

Postby Michelle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Good day saucisson!Thank you for directiong me back to the Cider recipe,
I am not sure why but I didnt get an email this time when you posted a reply?Hmmm.....I hopefully will get a chance to make cider in about 3 weeks,this week we are going on a atv(4 wheel)trip for 5 days way up into the mountains(with the goats lol),the next couple of weeks we will be deep into the bush hunting for moose and elk.So my time will be rather limited for a while.....I cant wait to make some cider,at this rate I wont have any made until Christmas time!Thank you so much for taking the time to calculate the cider recipe for me saucisson,you are awesome!

Michelle

ps-Do you have an idea of how hard it would be to make Edam cheese?
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Hi Michelle,
I guess there was a glitch in the software, Oh well.

Edam, I guess, would be made in much the same way as Gouda, but I'm new to the cheese game myself :) Might be worth posting a new thread asking for the recipe. Enjoy your trip!

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Edam

Postby Michelle » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:04 pm

Hello Dave! I am sure I saw Rik post somthing on the topics of Edam and Gouda,I will have to do a search and find it again.I started making sausage's of many kinds,bacon and jerky a few years ago,I figured it was time to branch out and try making homebrew and making cheese,the 2 hobbies go hand in hand dont they? lol

Michelle
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Looks like a good pint and a nice bit of cheese Dave, lovely stuff. I'm waiting for the weather to calm down a bit before I start cheesing again, although I think Lidl might have a wine fridge on offer this week which I might check out.

I tend to follow Rik's lead on the cheese Michelle, but I cant find an Edam recipe posted. However looking at a book I recently bought on the subject it has a recipe for Edam made with low fat milk whereas the Gouda is made from whole milk. The method seems to be similar to Gouda so you could probably use Rik's instructions for Gouda to make Edam.

Apparently balls of Edam were once used as cannon balls in a naval battle between Brazil and Uraguay, when the Uraguayan vessel ran out of ammo. One cheese shattered the mainmast of the Brazilian ship, and cheese shrapnel killed two sailors! The Brazilians retreated thoroughly 'cheesed off'. (sorry)

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Great photo. I do 2 out of 3 . I make wine and sausage, I have made beer too, but prefer wine. I am tempted to try my hand at cheese making. I have too many hobbies now. LOL I keep a large (1 acre) vegatable garden, hunt, fish, reload my own ammo, make sausage, bacon and specialty meats, several different wines That keeps me busy now. I am on the brink of cheese making too. Don't post any more photo's like the last one or you will push me over the edge. LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks Jen and Big Guy!
saucisson
Site Admin

Edam cheese

Postby Michelle » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:02 pm

Thank you for that interesting read on Edam cheese Jenny!
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:56 am

edam:
http://www.cheesemaking.com/text_detail ... id=262.php
this is from ricki carroll's site. rik has mentioned her in conjunction with the 30 minute mozzarella recipe
her cheesemaking book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1580 ... &s=gateway
is very good and easy to follow, if anyone fancies a good book to go along with web info

oh, and lidl are doing the mini-chiller this week. looks ok for the money
:D
jpj
Registered Member

Edam cheese

Postby Michelle » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:36 am

Thank you very much for posting the Edam cheese recipe jpj,I cant wait to try out that recipe! When I get a chance to make some I will post pictures of my results.Best wishes!

Michelle
Michelle
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:53 pm

good luck
jpj
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cheese Chat