Glamorgan Sausage

Introductions and chatter

Postby _Darkstream_ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:59 am

Well, not knowing much about the manufacture of sausages, I would not know if it is erroneous or not.

Is there something, still in print, that actually does the job this book intends to do accurately? I I am sure a lot of members would be interested in acquiring such a work.

Or a first edition of "The Sausage" by Parson Snows? Someting to occupy your spare time!

Regards,

Last edited by _Darkstream_ on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Darkstream_
Registered Member

The Book of Sausages

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:14 pm

In the next couple of days I will post a list of several books that you may try and obtain. Though it may be difficult to get any of them as they are mostly trade books.

As to part two of your posting. It's Called "Forgotten Flavours"

For the last 12 years I have been putting together a book on the history of sausages and their effect on diets, society etc. Needless to say that it's nowhere near complete, but what ever is? Any help would be appreciated with full credit being given. I'd just really like to get it out there.

I'm personally interested in old sausage recipes, preferably from published books- though individual/family recipes would also get a once over. I have numerous books from 1615 upwards with various sausage recipes and instructions included and would be more than willing to post some of these in return.

Hope that this is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:08 pm

I am not sure what kind of help I could be. Better PM me and let me know.

I am fascinated as to the societal implications of the sausage. I would really like ot know more about that.

I have access to mediaeval works (not available to the public) but I do not read latin and particularly not that of the midle ages. You would have to know precisely what book it ws you wished to consult.

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Sausage in History

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Thanks for your offer of help, I'll keep it in mind, (within the next twelve years).

I would be hard pressed to think of a country off the top of my head that doesn't make some form of sausage. Just take the UK, over 400 regularly made regional variations covering commoners to the Royal family.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:22 pm

WOW!!

400 regional variations in the UK ALONE????

And I thought I was doing well to clearly identify 5 or 6 distinct styles. But perhaps it is just like kebab, kofta, and tortellini recipes, there are a few different styles and a multitude of variations on them. I look forward to being educated (unfortunately in a limited way).

I don't suppose you have the recipe for Tunbridge Wells sausages do you?

Best regards,

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Tunbridge Wells Sausage Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:10 am

There are two famous sausage shops that I am aware of in Tunbridge Wells. These are W.J Hill's and the other listed below

Tunbridge Wells Sausage Shop
16 Monsoon Road
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN1 1ND
01892 545644

The recipe from W.J. Hill's was a closely guarded family secret, though I think that like Palethorpes and the likes they have been taken over by one of the mass producers. I don't have any more information than that given in "The Book of Sausages", as I mentioned before not a book that I whole heartly trust.

Sorry

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter