Casing length for quantity

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Casing length for quantity

Postby Wontigonk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:29 am

Hopefully tomorrow is the debut day! Following up on my previous post on casing (great advice btw), I want to soak the right legth of casing for the amount of mix I'm going to make (I'm assuming that once soaked, casings cannot be put back into the fridge for any significant period of time and expected to last)

I'm looking at 5lb in hog casings (linked) and 5lb in sheeps casing (not linked).

Any advice from the forum gratefully received.
TTFN

Wontigonk
Wontigonk
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 pm

I usually allow about 2.5 feet of hog casing per pound of meat for normal packing, sometimes I hit right on it and sometimes I have a little casing left over. I have not used sheep casings before, though I have read that one should use about twice as much sheep casing per pound as one would use of hog casing. I hope things come out OK, let us know. :D
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Big Guy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 pm

If I have extra casing left over I squeeze out as much water as I can then I put it in a small plastic bag and add lots of salt, work it in. ( cover it and then add more). I keep it in the fridge until the next time( months). You will have to re rinse and soak the casing to use it again.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby markh » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:00 pm

There is a table in the FAQ Section that is really useful.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=767
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:34 am

Length of casing also depends on the size of casing you're using. I use 4 different sizes of casing and after a while you'll get used to extimating how much you need. :D
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:23 am

I filled some sausages at the weekend in hogs casings. I put about 10lbs of mix into 13ft or so of hogs casings.

I've never measured it before but I was quite proud of the fact that I filled them all and linked them without breaking any!!

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Beginners