Type of casing for pepperoni

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Type of casing for pepperoni

Postby BBQer » Mon May 08, 2006 6:50 pm

I'm just about finished with my smoker and am interested in making pepperoni. What kind of casing should I use for it. I'm looking for a snack stick sized product - maybe 3/4" diameter after all drying is said and done.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:02 am

I like to use natural hog casing for my pepperoni....after it's dried it will be a little bigger than you want.....if you are married to the idea of a smaller casing think about the lamb one which are smaller....
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:20 am

When I make my snack sticks I go with a 16mm or 19mm collagen casing. Just make sure that your temps don't get too high too fast or else the fat will make a barrier between the casing and the meat. :cry:

Keep your temps low at first then bring them up that way the casing will bind to the meat producing a much better product.

I have never had a chance to use lamb casings because my butcher(s) won't carry them. :(

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Darrin I don't know where you are in Canada but you can order lamb casings from the Sausagemaker Inc.
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks everyone.

I tried the snack sticks in the smoker. Held 'em at 95F for 8 hours then slowly ramped it up to finish at 165F with a sausage internal temp of 145F.

They turned out fairly well, but not quite enough spice/heat to them.

I used sheep casings, which weren't too bad, but hard little things to get started onto the stuffing tube. And most were very short.

Think I'll have to try collagen next time for comparison.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Return to Beginners