Postby Spuddy » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:49 pm

Having time, now there's an interesting concept :wink:

Thanks I'll give it a read. :D

BR
Spuddy
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:05 pm

Just for information MRM has not been used for sausage making in the UK for some time now unlike Thailand im afraid, and with the new meat definitions from the EEC it cannot be classed as meat so therefore no sausage manufacturer uses it any longer.
One other thing worth mentioning is that it is not the manufacturers that wanted to use it. It was the supermarkets that forced the price down to a level that could not permit the use of muscle meats.
It does not take a brain surgeon to work out that if meat costs �5 per kg then sausage cannot contain meat if it is 99p per kg.
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:19 pm

Unless of course the sausage was mostly rusk, water, and off-cuts which normally would/could not be sold.
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:04 pm

Im afraid your right but if the manufacturers did not use it the poor old public bought it has mince. so they still ended up with it.
This practice still goes on Im afraid.
Like the butcher said the only thing that you can't sell from the pig is the squeal
sausagemaker
Registered Member

MRM

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:58 am

Actually in Thailand MRM is RARELY used unless you are referring to buying frankfurter/hotdogs, and their is even some dispute about that . At the present chicken breast is 70 p per kilo (legs etc cheaper at 45 to 50 p). The market presently consists of the mass producing factories (hotdogs, sandwich hams, streaky bacon etc) and then there are the few gourmet sausage makers who wouldn't think of adding such items. They really don't have to as the average price per kilo of sausage is 3.75 pounds sterling per kilo.

MRM is still commonly used in the US though they refer to it as MSM (Mechanically Separated Meats) or MDM (Mechanically Deboned Meat)

kind regards

Parson Snows
Last edited by Parson Snows on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:24 am

I bow to your knowledge there in Thailand but when I was there last year at the CP factory it was very much in evidence & I was asked to supply commercial sausage recipes for its use.
I am sorry that I appear to have painted all the manufacturers with the same brush.

sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

MRM MSM

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:23 pm

CP or CPF as they are known doesn't make sausages as such only hotdogs/cocktail sausages. This is typical of other Thai companies such as Sri Thai, Belucky, TGM, Bangkok Ham Products and the Betagro Group. For these I did mention that MRM (or equal) was possibly used though denied by the manufacturers.

hope this clarifies things

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter