Freezing milk

Everything you were afraid to ask about cheesemaking!

Freezing milk

Postby Gail » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:44 pm

I have just found this cheese forum and want to tell you that I think the 'how to's' are brilliant and I have been following them to the letter.

I have loads of questions but my first one is this.
When I freeze the milk from my 2 milking goats I notice that when I thaw it there is a core of what looks like frozen water left just before it is thawed completely.
If I poor off the milk and leave the watery core will this make the milk creamier? I would love to have a go at making butter but dont have a separator and so wondered if this would make it better for butter?

Thanks

Gail x
Gail
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:32 pm

Welcome Gail,
Yes, I'm sure you are right that this would concentrate your milk and make it creamier.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 pm

The milk fats will freeze later than the water content so it will be creamier or richer than the milk when it is completely defrosted.

if you freeze a bottle of beer or a bottle of wine the water content freezes first leaving the alcohol this is another method of distillin.

As heating is an easier method then the alcohol will evaporate off at 80C and this is then cooled through the coils so that alcohol drips out at the end,.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Making FAQ's