Wanting to try but....

General Cheese making discussion

Wanting to try but....

Postby DarrinG » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:29 am

Alright now I've been lurking in the cheese area for quite sometime now and I really want to try my hand at cheese making.

I've been so caught up in wanting to make cheese I even made a cheese press at work today just to see if I could make one. I'll post pictures on it later once I clean it up a bit.

But my question here is what is a good first time cheese? I was thinking about this cheese but I would like to know if its a good first cheese and what would it be similar too? Cheddar? Also if you could post what your first cheese was, along with success of failures that would be great too.

Thanks

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:44 am

My first was a Stilton, but it wasn't very Stiltonesque as I forgot to salt it. My biggest problem is them drying out as they mature, so try and keep them somewhere humid.

I would start with that recipe and see how it turns out, then branch out in a direction(s) that interests you.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:59 pm

My first cheese was a stilton too, made in a cut down milk carton mold. It's about 8 inches across and I used a plate and a big bottle of water as a follower and a press. Tasted pretty good and didn't last long. Here's a picture:

The recipe you have chosen seems a good one to start with DarrinG, so good luck and happy cheesemaking, I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

My First post and My first Cheese!

Postby bigsiqc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 pm

I am new to cheese making - having just made my very first cheese. I used the Fankhauser recipe and it worked really well. i would post a picture but my IT skills dont match my new found cheese making skills.

To give you an idea... 4 litres of full fat milk resulted in enough curd to fill the baked bean tin I used as a mould. To press it I used a 3 litre bottle of waterand a smaller sweetcorn tin to push the follower down.

Anyway... dont delay.... make a cheese today!

It is suprisingly easy and rewarding! :D
bigsiqc
Newly Registered

Return to Cheese Chat