starter culture

General Cheese making discussion

starter culture

Postby rasher » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 pm

I am going to make a stilton using Rics recipe, could you tell me how much MA400 culture and penicillium roqueforti I will need per gallon please.

regards rasher.
rasher
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Im using ma4002, assuming its about the same. I use granuals that are about 3mm diameter pile on paper, then put it in a 1L jar of milk and keep warm (85f)for a few hours and leave for the next morning, then I split that up in 4, for 4 batches or 1 gall each.
i also give it a 60-90 min headstart in the gal of milk in the morning at the propper temp for your cheese then add the rennet, find its more solid formation.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

starter culture

Postby rasher » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 pm

hi bluecheese
ma400 starter culture is added directly to milk just wanted to know how
much per gallon
regards rasher
rasher
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:10 pm

I gleaned this from one of Rik's old posts:

"get the MA400 and get the culture that goes straight into the milk it does not need incubating before addding to the milk. You need very little of these cultures and they can be kept sealed in the freezer.....most times it is just a few grains on the tip of a teaspoon....but read the instructions first. "

I don't know if that helps any...

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BBQer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm just looking into making cheese and have been reading everything I can find on the subject. Many recipes are confusing in that there seem to be details left out - what kind of starter culture, how much culture, what temp at the different stages, what additional flavoring molds are necessary and what effect will they have, etc.

Here's some info on the cultures for Stilton. I think the Mesophilic-M is the same as MA400. Hope this helps.

MESOPHILIC-M
8 DOSE RE-SEALABLE JAR $4.95
MESOPHILIC-M
BULK POUCH FOR 288 GALLONS $29.95
Contains: Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, cremoris, biovar diacetylactis.
Mesophilic-M is for fresh cheeses such as Camembert, Gouda, Blue, Baby Swiss and others where a buttery flavor and eye formation is desired. 1/4 teaspoon will ripen 2 gallons of milk. Add to milk when any recipe calls for the addition of starter.

BLUE PENICILLIUM ROQUEFORT
2 DOSE FOR 4 GALLONS $6.95
BLUE PENICILLIUM ROQUEFORT
10 DOSE BULK 25 GALLONS $39.95
Pencillium Roqueforti is a very fast growing blue mould culture with strong proteolytic and lipolytic activity and strong tolerance to salts. Cheeses produced with this culture have an intensive dark blue-green marbles interior and very piquant aroma and a very good, creamy consistency. Used for Danablu, Stilton, Roquefort and strong Gorgonzola. Use 1/8th teaspoon per 2 gallons of milk added directly along with starter.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:25 pm

Guess I wasent clear on the 3mm patch. basicaly very small amount dont know how else except take a picture with a ruller. As a first starter doing cheese last month, I was confused with allot thats out thier so I made a bunch of batches to see how it went. I first went with "Just add to milk" without doing a starter but I found it works nicer and quicker if u do a starter the night before. I put my little few grains in a 1L mason jar of milk at 80F and leave it over night. maybe read the stuff I put on my website, on the other threads I posted.
:)
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi rasher,

Rik's recipe for Stilton is made with buttermilk and a piece of blue cheese as a starter. You dont need to buy in any extras. I've made it both ways, using pre packed cultures and fresh from Tesco. I think the flavour of the cheese is better using buttermilk and cheese, the colour is better with the pen roq.

A good method is to start it off with natural ingredients and spray the outside with a weak solution of pen roq when the cheese has formed. This gives good veining when you start needling.

As to quantities, I take out a tiny bit on the tip of a teaspoon. I can't be any more exact than that. I look on it this way, my grandmothers going back for generations all made cheese, good cheese by all accounts. None of them had thermometers, their scales were basic, and their ingredients minimal. They had no understanding of what RH was, but knew cheese did better in this outhouse, rather than the one across the yard.

So just have a go, put it all in a clean bucket, stir it up, keep it warm, and you will get cheese. the chances are it will be better than you can buy.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

starter culture

Postby rasher » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:13 pm

hi all
thanks for all the replies.
jen, your advice makes good sense. obviously woman's logic (as my wife is always telling me)
going to make blue cheese following riks method and your advice and will let you know what happens!!
regards
rasher
Blessed are the cheesemakers
rasher
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:46 pm

Blessed indeed!

Enjoy your cheese!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat