Stilton - 10 days old

General Cheese making discussion

Stilton - 10 days old

Postby Richierich » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Here is the Stilton from the post in another thread. Its time it had its own thread! This has been out for 7 days, its 10 days since it was made. Some areas are going bluer than others, most is covered in a yellowy white coating, might give the blue bits a wipe, I think I saw someone mention wiping with brine.

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:28 pm

I thingk the blue is what u want, not wipe it, unless its black LOL.
Looks wonderfull, my mouth waters :)
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:41 pm

Looks very good!

How much milk did you start with?
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:09 pm

5 litres in that batch, I would say its about 6" x 4" or thereabouts. Smells great somewhere between musty cellar and stilton. I hope thats a good smell.

The recipe is exactly as suggested by Rik in his Stilton recipe. Took 2 hours to get the clean break, no extra Calcium added, nothing. 4 litres of Whole milk, and one litre of Jersey Gold top extra creamy jobby.
Last edited by Richierich on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 pm

It's looking well on course. Don't wipe off the blue it's very desirable in a stilton.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 am

We're now at 3 weeks, its looking really wrinkly though. Should I still have it covered up for the majority of the time, or is it time to give it some air?

Latest pics

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:07 pm

That looks very nice. Maybe put it in a container with an open lid, may contain the moisure more.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:50 pm

Got itchy fingers tonight and had a look inside the stilton, its 6 weeks are up on Friday and I could not resist anymore. Probably should have left it, there is no blueing inside, and around the edge the consistency is more of a camembert/brie, I guess it needs to dry out a little more, so, its 1" shorter, hope that won't make it rot away (do you think the crust will form on this fresh surface. I will leave it for a few more weeks.

It seemed to be sweating a bit, so I perforated the pizza base, to allow some air to circulate, will keep it covered though.

A couple of photos for you (the scratches on the board don't look that bad in reality, time for a new one anyway me thinks).

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Never made a stilton, so I don't know much about it - heck I don't know much about any of 'em, but I'll jump in anyway!

Did you do that needling process that's been mentioned in regard to blues and stiltons?

What temp/humidity have you been aging it at?

Still looks pretty good!

A piece of the rind tore off the brie I'm aging when I flipped it. Wasn't two days and the mould was covering it up again.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 pm

My guess would be it was too warm. reneedl it if u havent and keep the air circulating.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:10 am

Its due for its second needling on Sunday. Will have to remember to take the lid off the pot more often. Its on the side in the garage, so I guess the temperature is whatever it is outside.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:02 pm

That'll be about 11deg C then, which I would have thought should be OK, so long as the few sunny days we've had didn't push the daytime temperature up too high. It does look rather like some of mine turned out, which were at 16 deg C , which really is too warm.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:26 pm

It does taste good though, I have placed it in the fridge for a day or so and see if I can dry it out a little, it is very sweaty at the moment (might be due to a night in the house), I will put it back in the garage on Saturday/Sunday.

There was not a lot of blue in it, but there was certainly a Stilton like taste, the bit I left in the house over night is showing signs of blueing on the top alread, so I guess it has not had enough air. I might take BC's advice and scrape it and re-pierce after the weekend.

I think I might also have to invest in a proper press and get me some more on the go, or do you think the weather will start to warm up too much and maybe not have time for it to mature properly. Am I right in thinking it will still age/mature in a fridge, just slower?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Woke up to this this morning :D and still snowing.
Was about 5c last few days and melting everything now its -9, at least better then -15 that we have been having (and -25).
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:08 am

I think I might scrape the soft bit off the side of the cheese, the top that was cut off is going lovely and blue, and nice and dry.
Richierich
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cheese Chat