My Stilton is Cracking!!!

General Cheese making discussion

My Stilton is Cracking!!!

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:30 pm

My stilton is cracking and seems to have developed a void in one edge. It looks like it is not humid enough for it, so I was thinking of abandoning the original plan and going to plan "B"...

Is there a way to wash off the blue outer mold so it can be eaten sooner? I was thinking of wrapping in a brine soaked cheese cloth as immersion will get into theholes where the cheese has been needled, and into the small void where the crack is.

This time the cheese is very firm indeed, and I think would be ready to eat once it's 6 weeks are up on Saturday.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:04 pm

too much salt or too little moisture. Experinceing the same with my gorgonzola. Dont thingk the blueing is going to change, they whole cheese has the enzyme. U can use viniger to get rid of it if u want. Got a picture to show how much cracking ?
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:21 am

Mine had a crack, coming up to 8 weeks, so I decided to cut it in half along the crack as it ran along the length of the stilton, I now have (had) to halves, lets the air in and will blue quicker, amazing what a few days did.
Richierich
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat