Book of Sausages

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:00 pm

Deb

It seems to cover all those themes.

Please do not hesitate, you will be rewarded it is indeed a very fine book.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby deb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:12 pm

Thanks Fatman. Just need to convince Hubby I need another cooking book.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Fatman,

If it's as good as you say you should do a review on Amazon as it's current review is lousy:

"Reviewer: A reader from Andover UK
I was disappointed with this book. Although the authors are clearly sausage enthusiasts, it feels more like the book was the vehicle to pay for an extended sausage-tasting trip and that the book was a means to an end rather than the end itself. It is more a "sausage spotters" list and seems to simply be a long list of all the different sausages spied or tried but has few actual recipes. It seems to add very little to any learning process of how to make the sausages. Inside there are no photographs at all. On the cover it describes "mouth watering recipes" which I didn't discover. However it also has a quote for Sophie Grigson who endorses the book - so you pays your money and you take your choice. "
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Toby B

I do not disagree with those comments, but this book is first of all English oriantated, secondly for the beginner this book is a must, for the experienced sausagemaker you can live without it. Again if you are an Anorak like myself then it is again a must have book, certainly for me I considered this book to be an excellent all rounder I would rate highly and give it 8 out 10.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 pm

My daughters gave me a copy of the Hippisley-Coxe book for Christmas, this year. If one is looking for recipes for specific sausages, then this book disappoints. If one is looking for avid discussion of sausages, then this book makes for a pleasant, entertaining read, and the glossary of sausages is impressive. There are a few recipes in the edition I received (2nd ed.), but the majority of sausages are described by their general list of ingredients. I don't have a problem with the author's approach, that sausagemaking is an individual practice and so, recipes are nothing but jumping off points, anyway; however, when I looked at descriptions for sausages that are generally recognized as emulsion sausages, I realized that there was absolutely no indication of texture for any of the sausages. I realized that it would be possible to take the Cumberland recipe, for instance, and create something that had all the ingredients but otherwise bore no resemblance to a Cumberland, at all. Now, Hippisley-Coxe might opine that it doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy the sausage you have made. I found myself wondering what each sausage was like, not solely what it contained.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

The Book of Sausages

Postby wallie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:10 am

Regarding the Book of Sausages ISBN 0-575-05812-9

I bought a copy about 10 year ago and was not very impressed.
The recipes are brief and basic, they never even mention keeping everything cool and chilling the meat and ingredients before grinding.Which I think is one of the main aspects of sausage making.

I would not waste my cash on it. You will get more and better information on this website.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat May 17, 2008 12:35 pm

I was looking at my copy of the Hippisley Coxe's Book of Sausages, and noticed some significant errors among the descriptions of the sausages from Spain. Not exotic variants, but simply wrong, and not just once or twice, but in a number of the entries for Spain. It makes me wonder how many among the rest are accurate descriptions, and how many other descriptions are equally erroneous?

Are there countries' sausages where their descriptions are right on profile?

How much can I depend on their descriptions as jumping off points, or will I end up with something that bears no relation to the actual?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 pm

There is certainly a lot of that about. It's like when I tried to get a definitive recipe for Indian Garam Masala spice mix, I found 100's of blends as it seems every region and indeed household, has its own blend mix.
I would say it is the same for sausage and regional blends and mixes.
If you look at the recipe section here you will see in some threads there might be 2 or 3 different blends for summer sausage or breakfast sausage, each comming from a different area or country.

My approach is always make a kilo or 2.2lbs of a blend and see if you like it, even if you don't, and always try a small patty first, then simply add other things in until you get what you do like, then next time try a different blend.

It has taken me almost 1 year to get 3 difinitive blends my family like for breakfast, dinner and bbq.

No recipe is written in stone...indeed, every recipe, with the exception of baking, SHOULD be messed around with to get different results.

Hope this is of help to you

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat May 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Speaking of Garam Masala, there was an item on it on Market Kitchen where they did a taste test, ranging from Natco at �1.99 for 100g to exotic organic mixes at nearly �10, stacked up against a fresh blend made by Reza Mahammed working out at �4.99. The unanimous winner was the Natco, with Reza preferring it to his own.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Sat May 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Yeah, Garam Masala is one of those personal things....I use a south Indian blend which for me, is the nicest I have ever used, but I only ever make a small amount each time so it keeps it potency.
Anything from a shop is a no no for me.

I'll post this blend if you would fancy trying it.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat May 17, 2008 3:00 pm

please do :D

but put it in General Cookery, or post it here and then work out how to move it :wink:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Sat May 17, 2008 4:52 pm

:lol:

Can't do anything on this part ...no mod rights...ahh well guess I'll do it the easy way
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat May 17, 2008 5:09 pm

My mistake then, I'll get you assigned in this bit too,

Edit:

didn't click on equipment either, you are now live in both

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.