Farmers Markets

Introductions and chatter

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi Wilf

Yep �34 a kg is a bit rich for me but it does look good............

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby trotters independant » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 am

welsh wizard wrote:Hi Dave, JDP -Mostly smoked salmon in my household lasts for about 10 hours let alone 10 days, but there are times like Christmas when ones eyes ane bigger than ones belly - is that really possible?

Ha ha ha ha toooooo true, that is the sort of answer I would give!! when we have salmon in the house the time is calculated in hours not days :lol:

Did anyone manage to get hold of some cheap fish at Asda last week? Whole salmons for �10 min weight of 2.5kg I wacked it onto the bbq wrapped in wet newspaper and it was fantastic :D also had smoked haddock at �4 per kg, now that is cheap!!

Trotters
Luvvaly Jubbaly!!!
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Just a brief update.

As you are aware I decided to take my wares around the local good food establishments in the area to see if trade could be increased, and this met with some sucess. I now have four pubs / resturants who want me to make up a sausage that is personal to them. The Boot Inn (very nice if you are my way) wants a Boot sausage, laced with.......I suppose anything but tounge - if you get my drift.

I am looking forward to getting the Salmon around the area as well as selling it on varous markets and directly from the farm gate as it were.

I have booked a series of foodie events shch as Ross on Wye Cider Festival, Shobdon Food and Flower Show and Ludlow Food Festival and more besides. I will never be able to buy a castle in London but it is nice doing what I want to do for a change.............

Cheers WW
Last edited by welsh wizard on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

jpj
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:19 pm

:D :D :D

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 am

Wiz,

Great news, and besides why would you want to buy a castle in london anyway... There's no trout deer, pheasants ducks or salmon inside the M25!?!?!?!?! ;)

Well done with the initial foray and here's to your continued success.

BTW, Something I was thinking about for you is have you thought of making up hedgerow spirits in the autumn? bottled up in the 350ml bottles Ascott sells they would look really nice and I 'm sure would sell on the stall with your other stuff.

Especially now you have your Sloe picker!!! ;)

Rgds,

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:59 pm

HI FB

Errrrrrrrm, yes alcohol on the stall would be most interesting - well it would be interesting to see if I could keep my hands off it! My sloe gin collection seems to evaporate at the end of each shooting season for some reason - must screw those tops down a bit tighter!

Seriously though, good idea but I do not know if you are subject to any further tax if you are making an alcohol based drink for sale - possibly someone out there would know? Possibly you FB?

In my mind once you have bought the gin the tax is paid, but then I do not have the wizardry of Gordon Brown who I see as Merlin the way he manages to extract tax.......sorry, soap box away now...........

Cheers Hic WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:25 pm

I don't know about tax but presumably you'd need to be licensed to sell alcohol?
Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby markgadd » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:04 pm

Would you not need one of those new fangled personal licenses to sell alcohol ,back to school again.
markgadd
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:26 pm

Oh God - its much easier drinking it!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby markgadd » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:51 pm

You'll probably need a few lightners to keep you warm in the winter months. I agree drink it. You know with that fruit you added to it ,it must be good for you.
As I tell the wife 50 % of the fat on a pork chop is good for you so in eating hers for her it must be good for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
markgadd
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 pm

I used to do that before I had and failed an MOT from the GP :cry:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:54 pm

Doctors and MOT's - lets not go there!

Beef, Beer and Hop Sausage.

As part of my marketing stratgey (theres posh) I have contacted a local brewery and have a meeting booked with them next week to discuss making a sausage with their ale. This I would then tout around the pubs which will be good for me, and good for them and I get some free beer into the bargin, which is extreemly good for me!

Anyway I just wondered, and possibly this should go on the recipe page, but has anyine used hops in ther sausage making before, and if so what were the results? I know they are used to coat some cheese's because I have eaten hop cheese - any ideas?

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby markgadd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:48 pm

huge dose of Candesartin ervery morning works for me. :lol:
markgadd
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:21 pm

I was immediately put on ACE inhibitors and told to get my act together :)

WW, I think it would depend on what beer you use and how hoppy it was already, adding hops could overpower it, or were you thinking trace amounts of hops for colour/texture/originality as much as taste?. An interesting idea, I'm about to set up a brew and may hold some hops back to try. Will they supply you with the hops as well as the beer?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter