Hickory Smoke Powder

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Wilf » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:47 pm

Hi Paul, I'll go with it next time I do some bacon..........it seems like 2-3g a kilo is generally about right for noticing the flavour, sausages seem OK at about 2g plus and will try your 3g in curing a piece of belly
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:54 pm

I'll amend the usage rate on the website and mention that in some instances it may be beneficial to increase the amounts used.

Thanks for the input.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:11 am

Franco, do you know what ratio is used in your smoked bacon cure?
I find it to be an excelent balance between getting a good smokiness and yet still being able to taste the bacon.
It may therefore be a good guideline.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:37 pm

Paul - re hot smoking Bratwurst, I have done this as well but over cherry and the result is fantastic. Out of interest I did rather a large amount which was a little more than we needed (is that possible) and froze what was left. A week later I brought them back to life in the micro and even if I say so myself they were rather good - possibly a little more smokey than they went in (is that again possible)?

Bratwurst is the find of the summer for me especialy with a bunch of fresh corriander added.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:07 pm

Welsh Wizard

I agree with you regarding the smoked bratwurst although I did mine over Ash chippings. Also agree with you about bringing them back to life next day in the microwave, albeit just warming them through, they are superb. A 1 1/2" piece of smoked bratwurst on the end of a fork pushed through the soft yolk of a fried egg.. delicious.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:31 pm

O God I know its late but I am going to the freezer now to get a smoked sausage and Ill be chasing a chicken round the farm untill it lays an egg!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri May 04, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi I note that Franco says the Hickory smoke powder is a natural product, and this may be a really stupid question, but does anyone know what goes into it?

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Ken D » Fri May 04, 2007 3:10 pm

http://www.suttonsbayspices.com/Flavore ... owder.html seems to be the common thread....several sites show pretty much the same list. That's over here.....so I would assume your regulators have no concerns, to change the list for over there.
Small aside: I prefer liquid smoke. It comes in several types of wood.
Apple, mesquite, and hickory, being the most popular.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Smoke
Ken D
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri May 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Note that barley malt flour contains gluten which you may need to consider if using it commercially WW, or is it just wheat gluten people have allergies to? I've also seen it labelled as malto-dextrin base. One supplier uses dextrin - corn sugar. I just tasted some of Franco's and I think it tasted of malt rather than sugar. although the smokiness was so overpowering of any other flavour, I think I may have destroyed my palate for the evening. I'm trying to wash the taste away with Old Speckled Hen now :lol: It tastes rather nice with the added smoky aftertaste I'm getting though.

What's odd is that the beer doesn't seem to have any chicken in it so I might have to complain to Trading Standards :wink:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks both, that is really helpful though I still am not too sure what goes into Hickory Smoke Flavour........

Cheers wW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Fri May 04, 2007 5:23 pm

I'll try and dig out the spec sheet and post here.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Fri May 04, 2007 5:54 pm

I use Francos hicory smoke powder - from what I understand it is just condensed smoke - i.e. the wood is heated under pressure in a vacuum, then the smoke is funneled through a condenser, and the particulates come out as smoke powder.

I could be wrong of course - but this is my understanding.
aris
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Fri May 04, 2007 8:03 pm

To all who have replied thank you very much indeed, you have all been of great help which is the main reason why I find this site so invaluable (still could do with a spell check though). There is no other site that gives you so much factual, helpfull and considered advice rather than the diatribe that is so often spouted on other sites.

Very much Cheers WW.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:48 am

Hi Franco - did you have a look at the spec sheet to find out what went into the powder?

I only ask becasue I have to list it on my ingredients.

Thanks WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby penllawen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 pm

(Thread necromancy! Hope you don't mind...)

Re: the strength of the hickory smoke powder: less relevant to sausage making but I tried it as an additive in my bourbon BBQ sauce yesterday. I had approximately 1.25 litres of sauce after reduction; aiming for only a fairly subtle smoky flavour, I measured out 1/4 of a teaspoon and was planning in adding it in four stages, testing between each addition. After the first go (so just 1/16th of a teaspoon added), a taste test suggested I was already done! It had imparted just what I wanted: a smoky background note to the taste.

I strongly suspect my 50 g bag is a lifetime's supply :lol:
My food blog: Objection: Salad!
Twitter: @penllawen
penllawen
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general