Preserved.

Postby dougal » Tue May 09, 2006 9:32 am

Preserved is not a bad book at all. Its a bit short on detail perhaps, but its trying to cover a very large field indeed.
IMHO, its a useful introductory overview.
And at a fiver (�4.99) from www.thebookpeople.co.uk its well worthwhile, some might even say a bargain...
dougal
Registered Member

Preserved

Postby P171959 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:27 pm

I have the book and whilst I wish it went a bit deeper, It was a good starting point. The dry box is great for biltong (although I made a bigger one and have to use a 100 watt bulb). I've used it for sun dried Toms, and hope to try it for the salami curring process. The sections in the book for Salt & Corned Beef worked well, as did Jerky, Bresaola. I've also tried some of the pickling articles & infused oils and vinegar. potted shrimp. Like most cook books they are a guide not exact, so experiment, just remember that curing with nitrites & 'ates does need to be correct with amounts due to toxicity if over done. :P
My glass is alway half full unless it's beer
P171959
Newly Registered

Postby aris » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Don't go overboard with the wattage of the lightbulb unless your box is very big. Too much heat, and you can literally cook the meat or get case hardening which means it'll be very wet inside and hard outside - possibly causing spoilage as the moisture cannot get out. Check my website for more details.
aris
Site Admin

Postby this41uk » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Got the book, built the box.

But I haven�t used it yet, I've built it according to the dimensions given in the book. :oops:

What wattage of bulb would you recommend?

The book seems to be a bit vague in places.

Tim
Old and Confused but Still a Happy Camper
this41uk
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Check my website - www.biltongbox.com - has been around longer than the book.

In particular:

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong.html
aris
Site Admin

Postby howlin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:48 am

awesome book.i made the parma ham and it turned out really good as did the gravlax.
howlin
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Books,videos,manuals etc.