Clean break, Doh!

General Cheese making discussion

Clean break, Doh!

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 am

If I am honest, I have never had a decent "clean break" the curds have always been very fragile and I have ended up with lumpy yoghurt to strain.

However, it has recently become impossible to obtain Vegeren in the local supermarkets, they just don't stock it. I have come across Langdale Essence of Rennet, which comes in a much larger bottle for a similar price, but is presumably more dilute as the junket recipe calls for 1 dessert spoon per pint of milk. I added 1 dessert spoon to 4 pints of milk and it had set solid by the time I checked it 30 minutes later. I cut the curds, left them and they separated nicely from the whey and drained in a fraction of the time they normally take. Hoorah!!

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Are rennet tabs not readily available to you????
http://www.cheesesupply.com/default.php?cPath=55_56

The reason why I am asking is because i have not yet gotten to the cheese making yet.
I have rennet tabs an some freeze dried cultures waiting to be used.

I don't know enough about cheese making yet so i am curious why no clean break if that question is not too vague
The best comedy is to see the politicians in the USA blaming one another for all the stealing they have been doing for so many years.
Maybe this is Obamas strategy to get the truth out in the open.
scotty
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Good Rennet is easily available from cheese making suppliers but they are generally geared up for bigger orders so just buying a dash of Rennet hits you on the packing and posting. For small home cheese makers it's easier to get it with the shopping at the supermarket, which is what I have done previously, believing the Vegeren I bought might actually have had some enzyme in it, after this experience I believe it had residual activity at best. I can only assume that this new formulation is much more stable on the shelf if it sits there unused until its sell by date is near.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jpj » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:24 am

ascott's do state in the small print of their T & C's that if they can "send it cheaper we will!"
might it be worth contacting them about prices on say 50cc?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 am

I didn't realise that jpj, Many Thanks!! I'll look into it. Imay put some cheese moulds down on my Christmas list as well :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jpj » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:37 am

or, i'll be getting a large batch later this month and i'd be happy to post any amount at cost. in a tamper proof pot :D
jpj
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:53 am

That's very kind of you jpj, I'd like to take you up on that, let me know when you are ready to put the order in. Is that veggie or animal Rennet just out of interest?

Thanks,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Find it strange u have difficulty getting good rennet in the UK, would think u had the most verity. I bought a box that was actually way to much for me, 1 pack does 100L and I got 40 packs, good that their freeze dried, However u can get a small bottle in Canada/US for under 20$ that will last 100L, shipping to UK is cheap for the small amount.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks BC. I think you can get good Rennet easily enough from the cheesemaking suppliers, I have just been labouring under the misapprehension that the stuff I was buying at the local supermarket was good Rennet. The difference between the two brands was a bit of an eye opener and I now know why I've been struggling all this time, sometimes waiting 2 or 3 hours for a "break". I'm really looking forward to trying the "real" stuff now.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:51 pm

K, junket has always been considered a pudding coagulant so u don't want hard. I know people use it for cheese but its not designed for that.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:54 am

dave: it'll be the veg rennet. if you pm me your details and how much you want i'll turn it around as soon as i receive it.
jpj
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:33 am

Hi jpj, I think 50ml will be ample to keep me going for a while, thanks again, PM on it's way,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat